This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Can't get front bearing out

Trevor

• Club Members

I am changing the bearings on my Irvine 39. I got the rear bearing out quite easily by heating the crankcase and banging it on a piece of wood, but I just cannot get the front bearing out. I tried heating and pushing a dowel through from the rear but it seems to be stuck fast. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

• Club Members

Stuff it in the freezer for a while, then (gently at first!) heatgun the casing from a direction that the heat isn't blowing into the bearing ???

I did one many years ago by the reverse, heating the whole lot while trying to avoid heating the bearing, then using freezer aerosol (I used Radiospares electronics type , or plumbers pipe freezer might do) onto the bearing with a fine tube on the aerosol to avoid spraying the casing. That one just fell out then!

• Club Members

Trevor, if that does not quickly work (and it should), don't risk damage, I have access to a hydraulic press, but not next till Thurs 4th Nov. So with a suitable drift "tool", I should be able to do it for you?

Dave

• Club Members

15mins in the oven giving even heat normally works.

Normally upsets the "other half" as well!

Its the laquer holding the bearing in, just need to melt it, and the bearing should drop out easy peasy.

Good Luck.

• Club Members

Well, I soaked it in WD40, froze it, heated the crankcase with a hot air gun and it came out easily. Thanks everyone for your help.

Next question, You can get "budget" bearings quite cheaply or you can pay 2-3 times as much for a known make. Will the budget ones do the job? e.g. SimplyBearings

• Club Members

Thanks again. Simply Bearings seem to be quite reasonable prices and postage cost. The Irvine 39 rear bearing is an odd size 13x24x6 which at £8.99 is a lot more expensive than a slightly smaller 12x24x6 at £3.83, wonder why?

• Club Members
Thanks again. Simply Bearings seem to be quite reasonable prices and postage cost. The Irvine 39 rear bearing is an odd size 13x24x6 which at £8.99 is a lot more expensive than a slightly smaller 12x24x6 at £3.83, wonder why?

Probably because as you say, it is a rarer size combo...and it has to be made and stored for low sales potential???

You should worry, at least you can GET the right size, we have two buses, one with 22" wheels, the other with 25" wheels..............tyres, tubes and flaps have not been made in these sizes for 60 years plus..................... :cry:

• Club Members

The bearings came from SimplyBearings the day after I ordered them. Fitting them was a cinch, the rear one needed a little persuasion but with a hot crankcase and a cold bearing it went in eventually; just hope I dont have to get it out again in a hurry. The conrod bottom end didn't want to go back onto the crankpin until I realised that the conrod top end could slide along inside the piston so that the bottom end could slip on straight. The engine flips over smoothly with plenty of compression and no rumbling noises like before. Just have to try starting it to make sure it goes.