This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Glens 24% CAP232

It's just like buses, I don't build anything for ages and then 3 come along at once.

I need to find time to skin the wings and do the fuselage sheeting on the Mig29 and I'm not enthused to do that at present.

A lot of effort has gone into the Warbirds Replicas Spitfire over the last couple of weeks but I really want another sports plane to just use.

That's the reason a Glen's CAP232 arrived this morning, I should be getting my hands on a 26cc MVVS petrol on monday and as it's ARTF it should be up and running quite quickly.

So not some much a build thread, more of an assembly thread. You should expect to see pictures soon.

Oh and I'm a bit annoyed that I couldn't get to the Ascot show today - look at the weather you lucky bas :twisted::twisted::twisted: d's

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's about time I posted an update.

It's not really been a build, more of an assemble. The ailerons are prefitted and you have to do little more than run over the covering with a hot iron and expoxy in the ply brace and wing root faces.

cap-wing-joint.jpg.049cd0825451249d3f0290499a072723.jpg

Edited by Guest

I guess I should have shown the 'in the box' picture first, here it is.

Then add tailplane and fin/rudder in about 2 minutes. The elevator servos are mounted in the rear fuselage so nothing more than extending the servo leads here. Aileron servos were no more difficult.

As I am fitting the mvvs 26cc petrol, Glen suggested mocking up the engine box and trila fitting before deciding if it needs shortening to help with CG. The mvvs is quite light and the radial mount means it fits quite far back and mocking up the engine box with sufficient strength to hold the engine was quite tricky but I came to the conclusion that it was fine as supplied.

Next step was to build it for real and once done given a coat of skinning epoxy as a fuel proofer.

The plan for the engine is to mount the igniton battery on one side of the engine box, the throttle servo sits in the same place on the other side.

cap-engine1.jpg.1a6550ab19e0095931c362d125d6103a.jpg

cap-engine-mount.jpg.756458aa3a55fdc960d584972b701bce.jpg

cap-engine-box.jpg.6360d41f392057974163b7ce3dd62c1d.jpg

cap-mvvs.jpg.5a3de620c0d6f1bd414fba3db1b37d8a.jpg

This time I really will post the 'in the box' picture.

The cowl is huge, I will need to stand off the engine to get the prop driver far enough forward which will help with CG. My man Gary is getting some ply spacer made up for me.

Gary has also kindly made me up some new registration decals, plus some southernmodelairshow and croydon airport model flying club decals. Despite giving only rough sizes and colours they fit real well and the colour is almost spot on.

cap-decals2.jpg.f6fcb65301faf79bef3e3a547867c1c1.jpg

cap-decals1.jpg.b77608c71e855db2309003c755a5ca3b.jpg

cap-1.jpg.cff30004579399f27a4e3a3367eece3f.jpg

cap-inbox.jpg.ee08ca4a108788a5df5c42693aa1311b.jpg

Jimbo,

Loads of piccies from Sunday but I can't be bothered to re-size them all and post. I'll bung all the heli pics on a CD for you.

I won't make the field over the next few weeks, but I'll give it to Roger at next monday's committee meeting - OK?

Darren

I've decide to try out some of the new 'cheap' futaba digitals. S3050's for rudder/elevators and S3152's for the ailerons. As usual, throttle will be some cheap old s**t I'll find in my radio box :wink: (actually a low end JR digital :) )

p.s only a few posts to go to number 100 for me.

Coincidentally, I'm looking for something faster for the heli throttle - the governor apparently like a fast throttle, and can even work a digital one! I cant believe I'll have to replace the 148!!!!

You can have it for your spitfire ;)

Rather than shorten the cowl, I've spaced out the engine done a complete assembly to confirm CG is in range. Looks good so I'm commiting dremal to cowl later and will make sure all the engine components fit.

Hopefully I'll get that done tonight and post some pictures tomorrow.

Final tweaking of the CG will be done by placement of the battery and then it's onto radio setup and engine tests.

Unfortunately I'm off on me hols next weekend, so whilst I'll get it finished You'll all have to wait a few weeks before engine runs and the first flight.

Well, it's basically done.

Worked out the final engine and ignition box mounts and cut the cowl to suit, think I'm going to expire from the amount of dust I've breathed in (despite using a mask!)

Would have preferred to hide the silencer in the cowl, but it just wouldn't fit. An alternative pitts style silencer would not have quite worked either, so unfortunately I had to cut out a chuck of the side of the cowl.

58d85c78b0828_enginemountII.jpg.c84baaa25f297db12ed5e03e005e5260.jpg

And a few final pictures of the completed thing.

All that is left to do is the final fitment of the radio gear, a couple of battery switches, the fuel pipes, the pilot and fit the stripes to the cowl (I'm awaiting these from Glen).

So I believe I'm on target to have it ready by the end of this week.

complete-5.jpg.81697a2c5e77565c11d31a49ebe7d6b8.jpg

complete-4.jpg.c23bdd13d0963c3a7c6cfece207ce8ce.jpg

complete-3.jpg.66170b3038618024c042f16945cd5556.jpg

complete-2.jpg.8cc838692d2d3200fc22ca002b7ffbb4.jpg

complete-1.jpg.3c9926c11ec1308f948ee45e3df3eb4e.jpg

complete-fuse-1.jpg.32b2f39975e632e61bb7800c12658dcd.jpg

Jimbo,

That's an idea, but I'm not sure I can be bothered yet. Gives me easy access to the engine whilst I'm getting use to it and I'm not sure anything I could make wouldn't look worse :cry:

Shouldn't be too hard.

I'd suggest finding an old cowl or similar, cut out a dome shape, and then trim to match the contours of your cowl around the hole. Finally glass it in place from the inside.

As you say, not a problem now, but could be a neat solution in the end.

Onto the last stretch and because of a whole chicken pox and holiday cancellation saga I'm not going to get into, I might even be able to fit in a test flight tomorrow.

Anyway, the last things to do were fuel plumbing, rx install, canopy and final balance.

So first, install everything except the batteries

rear-linkages.jpg.c6e886dce82fd0450442705a68b3563a.jpg

final-install.jpg.dcc35d1abadf3ed7e67c3b6944eee7a8.jpg

For final balance I use a couple of rounded pieces of 1.5" x 1.5" with some foam protection mounted level in my workmate.

The cap was almost spot on so it wasn't too hard to get balancing. A few pieces of masking tape on the bottom of the wing so I could mark the final battery positions.

balance-2.jpg.7c07a9bdca530ce81b71c48c02dcb5f9.jpg

balance-1.jpg.31c90c3ffbf20d43342fb1dfbfb5d7d6.jpg

And now truly the last bit, fit the cowl stripes that arrived in the post this morning (good timing Glen :D ) and to fit the pilot and canopy permanently.

Subject to weather, engine and range tests being OK we should have a test flight tomorrow. At the very least some fully assembled pictures.

cowlk-stripes.jpg.f160afa0bac7eb16a09b54e0ff05c9b6.jpg

the-last-thing.jpg.d47607e240a901611bcd02aefe56cc36.jpg

heh - you could bring the R30 for me to have a look at - mine is not very well still :(

If your offer still stands of course!

Hows the pox going?

Don't want to talk about the pox, we should be sitting on a BA 747 about 2 hours out over the atlantic about now :(

I'll bring the R30 and the offer is still there, I'll even have a search of t'web for some gyro instructions

• Club Members

Darren,

It's looking really nice, wish I had done mine in white not yellow.

What %chord is the balance on your CAP? I am looking for a start position to balance my scratch built one.

Trevor

• Club Members

Darren,

It's looking really nice, wish I had done mine in white not yellow.

What %chord is the balance on your CAP? I am looking for a start position to balance my scratch built one.

Trevor