This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Got the Pi connected using the VNC - and all works nicely.

Found an issue with the sound that I finally got fixed and now I can play sound through the HDMI - nice.

I think I can compile C as well Arun - dont see why not? Python looks nice and simple, but I know C pretty well already - is it C or C++?

No offers for my first program? K&R would be upset.

Jim - I thought Trevor already answered you!

#include 

main()
{
printf("Hello, world!\n");
return 0;
}

You can use C or C++ - just install the GCC packages for the compiler (as root):

apt-get install gcc

Then:

gcc hello.c
./hello

If you want a simple test program, clone this code I wrote for an echo server try this (not promises it works first time as typing commands from memory):

Required packages:

apt-get install aclocal
apt-get install autoconf
apt-get install automake
apt-get install git

Get the code, configure it for your platform and compile it. It might seem a bit complex, but you only need to run the 'make' bit if you change the src code after you have done this once. What the 'configure' process does is set up the code (linker etc.) for the ARM (RaspberryPi) platform. You could use this exact src code on an i686 quad-core like Rich's with the same steps...

cd ~
git clone https://github.com/arunh/c-sandbox
cd c-sandbox
./build-autotools.sh
./configure
make

Run it!

~/c-sandbox/src/echoserv/echoserv

And then test it is working, from another shell window enter the following and then see if the window running 'echoserv' spat out the words

>telnet localhost 2002
foo bar

Anyway, all that is clearly over the top for Hello World, but if you want to try it - just post the errors you get here as in theory it all just works :)

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

:mrgreen:

First thing I did when I built a Spectrum ROM to RAM board was to alter the boot up logo to my nickname (which wasn't bravedan then) and then alter the screen boot up colours.

Then I got serious and started altering Uncle Clive's OS "bugs".......................

C'Mon then, list the extra hardware you have attached so far!!

I'd be very interested in building something I used a lot back then, a device to slow a running games prog to a crawl so you could see exactly how the programmer was building the screen and moving objects around (in those days mostly "sprites").

No crashes yet then???

• Club Members

I still dont understand the attraction of programming on an R-Pi as opposed to, say, an Android smartphone or tablet which has lots of gizmos built in, like GPS, camera, phone, bluetooth and stuff. And if you manage to write something useful (that isnt already available in a gazillion different free programs like most of my ideas :( ) then you might even make money out of it!

I hear there is a version of BBC Basic on R-Pi but it can't even do everything a BBC Model B could do, whats the point?

P.S. I still have lots of Acorn User magazines if anyone wants to reference them.

• Club Members

Trevor,

The same reason that people race a MIni when for the same money per year they could afford a racing Ginetta or Lotus, ETC.......... :wink:

The same reason people fly (lets say for pure example :twisted: ) a Magnatilla when its only if "in period" correct for little more than simple "staggering around" flight, when they could build and fly a full on 3D monster for the same money and effort............ :wink:

Why am I 3D'ing a Mini-Mag when it'd be much easier to do the same with my Extra? 8)

:lol::lol::lol:

Great free magazine this of RP project ideas:

www.themagpi.com

@Jim/any other admin - maybe we need an 'other interests -> computing' section of the forum so can split up all these posts. It seems like at least some people are interested.

• Club Members

@Jim/any other admin - maybe we need an 'other interests -> computing' section of the forum so can split up all these posts. It seems like at least some people are interested.

Like he says............. :wink:

Dave - you asked about hardware - this is what I have currently...

GPIO can drive the 3 LEDs independently, and pressing the tactile switches signals back to the processor.

Have a Python program controlling it currently - plan is to do same thing in C, then ARM assembly - then I think the way if paved for interesting control projects.

Black wire leading out to bottom right is the serial connection so I don't need to use Ethernet/ssh to connect.

• 1 month later...
  • Club Members

Received today.................

"Thanks again for your Raspberry Pi order, reference number 1010141766. We are busy working with the suppliers who provide components for your Raspberry Pi to ensure you receive your order as quickly as possible.

Since receiving your order, we have been advised that our next batch of approximately 40,000 Raspberry Pi’s will now be arriving during September, with further deliveries expected in October. This delay is due to the very high level of demand on the core Raspberry Pi processor chip. Unfortunately, this means that your order could be delayed by up to 9 weeks, although we are trying to reduce this as much as possible."

• 2 months later...
  • Club Members

And today I get:-

"Thank you for your continued patience in waiting for your Raspberry Pi order. By way of an extra thank you, we’re pleased to let you know that your order for a 256MB Raspberry Pi Model B board will be upgraded to a 512MB revision 2 version of Raspberry Pi."

By the time it comes it'll be quin core 14Tb................. :roll:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Club Members

I had an order with RS quoting something like an 11 week lead time. A few days later, I also placed an order with Farnell (quoting something like 4 weeks), and a week later one arrived (so I cancelled the RS order).

It generally seems that Farnell do get them much quicker.

Martin

• Club Members

And then tonight I get:-

"Your RaspberryPi order has been despatched today. If you ordered a Raspberry Pi board as part of your order we are pleased to inform you that we have sent you the upgraded 512MB Revision 2 board to thank you for your continued patience. We hope this upgrade is acceptable to you If you have any questions please email:RaspberryPi@rswww.com Thank you for your Order RS Components"

• Club Members

OK, so it finally arrives.

Firstly, I have two spare flat screens, but all are VGA not HDMI. :roll: So I lash it up on composite output to a spare flat screen TV, and get a picture, so I can see through login OK and onto the graphical desktop.

I have fitted a MS Wireless keyboard and mouse which was in the config list for specific keyboards. Initially this seemed fine but after some time key repeat seems to have become a bit erratic. Might be batteries so have some on charge. I was also getting the TV menu popping up all the time but new batteries in the remote seems to have fixed that!!

Biggest issue at the mo is that the desktop is way over large, and if a browser window is opened, while the frame fits the screen (I think) with the red "power" graphic logout button bottom right, and the close window icon top right, the displayed contents roll off right and below like a mobile phone with scroll bars. There is a screen lock icon bottom right with a lock in it, but no action results from clicking it.

I can access the Internet OK, btw, albeit screen info is too large to fit without scroll boxes.

So, I need if poss to get the displayed desktop resolution to match the screen size.

Is overscan relevant to composite output or is that HDMI only? Is it total window only? Altering it in config.txt does not seem to do anything.

Dave -

In my case, the erratic keys was a symptom of a USB device drawing too much current - solved with a powered hub, or reducing devices (I have none as only access over network now it is configured).

Re resolution: assuming you are using the Raspbian image, this looks like a fairly handy set of commands to run/diagnose resolution issues -> link. Also the raspi-config looks like it might be useful.

Haven't been using Raspbian myself, I use the ArchLinux image as prefer how it is organised, but really depends what your use-case for the Pi is.

Arun

• 9 months later...