This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

My Raspberry Pi arrives today....

Who else is playing with these then? I know some of you are.

Edit: It's here, connected and working - I wish I hadnt chucked out my USB keyboard last week though, as I could then get past the Linux Login.... DOH!

• Club Members

I waited, so only last week got the nod that I was getting up the queue so could order. Still says 11 weeks though! :?

I'm hoping I can have a bit of a laugh low level programming with it.......been around home computers since the days of the ZX81 and putting a packet of frozen peas on the Rampack to stop it crashing. And the ultimate personal business machine of its day, the Commodore Pet (with a massive 32k memory!) Quite enjoyed hacking around in the days before it all got too big for a single person.

Still got a ZX81, 2 Spectrums, a Spectrum +2, a microdrive, home made PCBs that load ROM to RAM so you can alter the OS, others that slow graphics progs to a crawl so you can see how its programmed, hacking tools (NOT for piracy, I was the first one globally to work out the infinite lives poke for Boulderdash, for example!!..some fame Eh?? :roll: ), then an Atari ST, and an Amiga, etc,etc......

I jumped the queue earlier this week somewhat fortuitously when a friend at work had two delivered and decided to keep only one. So it is now up and running! Using ArchLinux for now for some initial hacking. Have built a serial cable for mine using an old Nokia CA-42 data cable on 3.3V serial (see this technique). As such, I don't need USB keyb/mouse as I just access it either over network using SSH or on the serial port if network is down.

Also purchased a nice case on eBay! First project is some ARMv6 assembly language and checking I can cross compile from my intel_x64 desktop and then I'm sure I'll find something sensible to do with 26 GPIO pins :)

$(KGrHqJHJ!4E+OF+Q0tYBP70N8RmiQ~~60_12.JPG

I haven't got any Pi but I've been playing with something simpler: Arduino http://www.arduino.cc/

Nothing fancy like an OS or IO beyond a few digital/analog pins. To date all I've made is a (very crude!) 4-legged servo walking robot. Yep sure is fun coding in low-level C instead of the horribly bloated framework API's you get stuck with on mainstream "enterprise" projects.

Now I just need to write a pile of clever code to sequence a nice smooth gait pattern with variable ride-height, reversing and maybe even turning!

Sam

Well Ive ordered a case, and bought a keyboard, and she's up and running.

Plugged the ethernet in and guess what? I'm on the net with the browser - now that was easy :)

How do I set a static IP in Debian and start an SSH Server then Arun??

lol

Limited? :) It's a complete computer on a board... you can do anything with it as long as you fancy programming ...

Maybe we need a coding-101 club night once winter draws in?

• Club Members

Yes but you can program lots of things much easier than these. You can put linux on a laptop and program anything you want. These seem to be a throwback to Bbc micro 6502 days, still haven't got a grasp of what they are all about. Must be missing something!

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Go back to your bath chair Peter.

The real thing with the Pi Trevor is that its $30, and has a proper OS on chip, 2xUSB, HDMI HD Video, Stereo Audio, Ethernet, GPIO, SD card and more interfacing possibilites.

The idea is because it is run on a charitable basis, and therefore it is CHEAP and so can be bought for education, to enable real computing to be taught in schools again, not just how to turn a computer on and run a word-processor (something which still escapes Oily!).

There are loads of geeks out there making expansion kits for them, and gadgets, to try and ebergise kids into being programmers again rather than goggle eyed game players.

Thats what I think anyhow, but feel free to argue ;)

• Club Members

Ok I get that, educate the kids with proper low level hardware, like what we used to do back in the day. But why have you got one? :)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

lol cheeky!

Cos I'm still a geek at heart and I miss programming, and I thought I'd see if I can remember how to do proper computing :)

Hows that?

• Administrators

I think the first project should be to come up with an anti-drowning device to wake peter up, if he dozes off in his bathchair :lol: Or not.. ha ha ha

Seriously though, this thing WILL have huge potential in the RC world..

I could easily see these replacing the KK boards, and having super simple USB HD camera hookups, even POE charging and flight data downloading, programmed flight patterns and more..

Just wrote my first Pi program in Python - anyone care to guess what it does?

I bet Arun can....

btw Arun - I too have set up a VCN - a bit slower, but much more comfortable!

Jim - good idea - I haven't actually added VNC yet - maybe I will but I do like the terminal :)

I've bought some breadboard + jumper leads etc. and am currently trying to control an LED via the GPIO ports. Halfway through trying to work it out myself, I found this video and got distracted as it covers most of what I want to do...

Except I plan to write in ASM/C rather than Python as that is the attraction to me ... (I know, what a weirdo)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1417