This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

What's your Winter build?

There's a chill in the air this morning... So without further ado, we clearly need a "what's your build" thread...

For my part, I'm in the early stages of a 1/5th scale Piper J3 Cub. Plan is for a Saito 4-stroke, and given enough time looking to weather the model and make it look fairly realistic. Any tips on weathering appreciated although probably best to start a new thread about that.

It will have navigation/landing lights etc. (even though these probably shouldn't be on a true scale model of this era?). This let's me play to another of my hobbies - I am designing and programming the micro controller for the lights myself. Will be fully switchable via Rx by reading PWM signal... probably going to use a tiny Arduino Nano board (weight just 6g!) for this to speed up the development cycle. Hope to write this up if successful in a newsletter at some point.

So, what's yours?

• Club Members

I will be building a new wing for the Magnatilla, which had an unfortunate mishap on Sunday. Also will be sending my DX8 back to Horizon for a checkup and upgrade following the unexplained sudden pitch-down glitch and subsequent loss of control that resulted in the Magnatilla incident.

And finishing the Cambrian Spitfire Mk24 kit

Arun, I would be very interested in the build of the lighting controller, please post all details of the construction and programming.

• Club Members

I don't build any more in the winter than at other times.............

Unfortunately!! :lol:

I do have a To Do list, but its years long............:-

72" Barnstormer - Build tail, convert to Ailerons, Install OS 70 4St , gear, cover.

90 sized Eurocopter - change engine from OS91 Competition to OS 70, make new top cover, fit interior framing, install chassis, paint.

30 Agusta A109's (2 of)

Rebuild front end of Fox Glider (motor caught fire and melted EPP nose off!!! :roll: )

Build JW60 Dynamic Soarer ( a glider capable of > 230mph )

Build Speedbird

Rebuild Morley

Gliders x2 to refurbish.

500 Heli build (flybarless from budget gear, target max £200 !!)

and that is only scratching the surface.................................. :?

My current project is this fairly big and very yellow Monocoupe: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=24002

The original plan was to power it with a Laser 150 I have spare, however upon delivery it became clear the model was originally designed with electric power in mind as the front-end is incredibly flimsy!

So my second HK delivery included a fairly hefty motor, 100A HV ESC, motor mounts and props etc. Power will be delivered from 10S 4000+ LIPO's I have spare :-) Of course there is now a danger the power available might rip the front of the model clean off instead of having an IC motor shake it off!

Sam

• Club Members

Sam,

Nice looking basic model, but as you and reviewers say, will need considerable strengthening around the front end no matter what form of power. (And HK say its ready for a 30cc gas engine!!! Yea RIGHT!!! :shock: )

A healthy coating of Poly C or resin with glass looks absolutely essential.

That massive cockpit inner bare wood area is going to need attention too, especially the forward facing parts inside the windscreen, but at least it looks like the transparency is not already fitted to block access.

Should with a little work make into a very nice model indeed!

There is a fair amount of lattice work up front and (unusually) it has been glued fairly well, so Poly-C should just give the balsa enough rigidity for smooth e-power. Remember traditional models are heavy up-front to handle the vibrations IC motors produce and pure-electric models have a fraction as much wood around the motor mount.

I was (kinda) joking when I said my power-plant is more likely to pull the front clean off anyway, but with 10S on tap I will need to manage the throttle carefully as I anticipate 3D levels of power in a decidedly non-3D airframe! Structural integrity could be an issue in general and not just the front-end..

Sam

• Club Members

I,m set to finish an electric Lancaster. Its the Tony Ninjus plan. The airframe is almost complete, just need to clear the bench of broken Wot 4's!

Then, I have a Goldberg Super Chipmunk, in the box, that came from the States. Still trying to decide on IC or Electric Power, and this time I think I will go with retracts. I had the last one for 20 years, or so, and loved it to bits. Unfortunately, thats what happened in the end, it became "bits", after an altercation with a Hop Farm tree, when the battery failed. :-(.

Thats all in the past, looking forwards to flying the new one, in the new year.

Oily :wink:

• Club Members
There is a fair amount of lattice work up front and (unusually) it has been glued fairly well, so Poly-C should just give the balsa enough rigidity for smooth e-power. Remember traditional models are heavy up-front to handle the vibrations IC motors produce and pure-electric models have a fraction as much wood around the motor mount.

Sam

All true of course, but the model is being specifically advertised for 30cc Gas Engines, it's not being sold as electric only!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349608362.863596.jpg[/attachment]

Here she is with all the prettying bits attached. Looks awesome I think, and flys 100% better with sidethrust. Great for barnstorming and lands at walking pace, much like a Cub only more unusual :-) Only snag was upon landing the balloon wheels pancake, jammed in the wheel pants so it tripped over the nose. Cracked jell coat on underside of cowling was only damage however, so I'll find some harder wheels to solve that problem. All in all very happy with how the project worked out :-)

Next up is a YT FW190 (72", Laser 150 power)..

Sam