This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

dangerous fuel tank

hi all, i just fitted my precedant with an 11oz fel tank with refuel tube aswell as the exhaust and carb pipes.

the problem is that it floods the engine everytime i fill through the refuel tube and floods the exhaust aswell, what am i doing wrong.

please help

you could always try a fuel switch, what it does is you attache one end to the fuel tank to the switch and the other end to the carb, when you fill the fuel trough it it shuts off any fuel getting to the carb, and when you take the filling nozzle out it restores the flow from the tank to the carb, you really want to make a bracket at the fire wall and then make a hole aligned with it in the cowelling, you can buy them from mick charles for about 15 quid plus postage.

i found out what i done wrong and its actually quite a rookie and stupid mistake.

i had the pipes connected and configured incorrectly lol:

i had the exhaust pipe at the bottom of the tank and connected to the carb.

i had the filler (3rd) pipe connected to the exhaust and at the top of the tank.

and finally, i was using the "carb" pipe for filling the tank.

ive corrected this now and ill be test filling the tank later on today to see if is worked, this is the new configuration:

carb and filler pipe at the bottom of the tank and next to each other (the carb pipe connected to the carb)

the exhaust pipe has the bend pointed to the top of the tank and is at the top of the tank and obviously conected to the exhaust.

that was a learning curve that i dont wanna repeat lol

• Club Members

Just another thought to add.

If you are not filling the tank via the carburetor feed tube, make sure the carburetor is shut when filling the tank i.e. throttle setting is at idle.

This minimises the chance of fuel flooding the carburetor unless you pressurise the tank in some way during the filling process.

:D

oh yh, i never thought of that as i leave the carb at half throttle as the engine doesnt like to start with anything below that and infact cuts out at about quarter throttle (no matter how much i play with the needle setting) plus i have my tx set for total closure of the carb on the trimming control, this is simply a precaution if something goes wrong, that way i can stop the engine if i need to.

For example, if during take off (and theres spectators at the time), the plane vears off towards on-lookers and i cant correct the direction in time, i can simply cut the throttle to shut the engine down so that no damage will be done from a spinning prop.

your low speed idle is out of trim unfortunately either way will give similar results this is how to reset it:

screw both high speed and low speed needle in, unscrew the high speed needle between 2 and 3 turns, the low idle needle should be between 0.5 and 1.5 turns out, usually you would start with the high speed needle but in this case start 1/8 at the time with the low speed needle, every time you adjust the low speed needle the high speed needle with change positions so you can adjust this after. Only and always with the low speed needle make small changes no more that 1/8 at the time either way.

If the engine hesitate before picking up speed and there is plenty of smoke and unburned fuel coming out from the exhaust then is too rich you should close it clockwise 1/8 at the time.

On the other end if the engine picks up speed before cutting out than is too lean, you should open anticlockwise 1/8 at the time.

ones this is done and running smooth than adjust the high speed needle and NEVER TOUCH THE LOW SPEED NEEDLE AGAIN !!!

Now it's a little worrying that you feel that the throttle cut off is only when you are near a crowed and loose control of the aircraft !! you should always have a throttle cut off point so that you can actually switch the engine off!!

Also in the BMFA is stated that you must be able to take off fly and land safely, or your insurance is void flying over people it is by no means safe and should not be done, also if you feel that you have not control of the plane fully you should not fly by your self you should only fly with supervision or a buddy box.

you two make a nice couple you should get together and discard every rule and do wtf... you feel like that would make it better.

The problem is the low idle speed needle, I would start from that, about me flying only a short while has nothing to do with the amount of hours I spend flying and researching I do. number two If I wanted people to know my name I would put it on my log on name, food for thoughts Gary!!.

No I still play with you that's part of the fun , it might be an air leak but I have had similar problems with my leo engine and I got it sorted trough the low idle needle, regardless of that, we assume that the guy has checked the fuel tubing prior to that it is the essential.

You have been at this game longer than me but it does not mean that I am wrong it could be the crank case but usually you would start with the more obvious thing in this case the low speed needle.

no offence stallion but it is definately not idle needle, its had a tuning by someone who has been dealing with model engines for nearly 30 years.

Also the last time i flew a plane properly was 10 years ago and ive only just started getting back into the hobby (a few months ago) and yh im out of touch with it.

Ive never said that i the reason is purely as a precaution for crowds with the throttle cut off, it is however the main reason as id rather destroy a plane than kill someone.

Also as we all know, when ur trimming ur plane during basic taxi'ing, that u can easily send a plane in the wrong direction by complete mistake as some planes are ultra responsive to the controls especailly when they are front steer on the landing gear.

Well I had a Leo 40 Engine witch I was Using Ok, but one day it started to spatter and would not stay on unless I would put half throttle, either me or Hawk could work out what it was to the extent that I purchased another engine and put that to one side, until one day I read a tread similar to this and the guy said the same thing as me in regards to the low speed needle, I thought it could not be as I had it set perfectly, as I was to find out for some strange reason the needle had moved I don't know if when you open the throttle had something to do with it but fact is that I retuned the engine and I am currently flying it on a wot4 and it goes like the clappers Hawk as seen me at the field he said that engine was no good we both said it, but after a little tweaking of both the low and high speed needle it worked fine not it's one easiest engines to tune.

Also as we all know, when ur trimming ur plane during basic taxi'ing, that u can easily send a plane in the wrong direction by complete mistake as some planes are ultra responsive to the controls especailly when they are front steer on the landing gear.

Still I think it would be best suited if you have someone with you to start, come on you can not hit someone quile taxiing its not acceptable, what kind of field are you flying at? you might send the plane in the wrong direction when taking off by stalling, but the plane should some what fly more or less ok even with the trim out, you should be able to controll the plane untill a safe high then start to trim it out so that it flyes staright.

Even if you stall the plane at taking off you should certainly have enough clearance to not hit any body.That is the basics.

stallion, i by no means, mean offence by this but how long have you actually been involved with models, whether its planes, helicopters or any other vehicle.

Simple reason to why i ask this is because all of your advice seems to be based on research which throughout the world wide web, will be differential depeneding on different peoples opinions.

I myself flew rc planes for 5 years before i came to a point in my life where i just couldnt afford to run the jets that i used to have and as such i went to nitro and petrol cars for 10 years until i was in a position to come back to my ultimate favourite hobby of flying planes.

Now what i fear is that as this forum is open to be viewed by people all over the world, incorrect advice can stop some people dead in there tracks with this hobby because they may mess up there wages on equipement they cant use.

So please, if its from specific research that ur replying with, please say so and also say that its not from experience so people cant get confused should they ever come across this thread.

Thanx and again, im not having a go at you :)

engine problem solved.

I had to use the main needle to lower the amount of fuel going into the engine so much so that its less than a whole turn from fully closed.

This would certainly indicate an air problem as far as im aware, too much going into the engine and since ive changed the needle setting (again main needle and not the air bleed needle), the engine is starting and running alot better.

Also i should mention that if i dont run the engine for a couple of days, it stiffens quite alot and the flywheel is also about a mm from the from of the engine if not slightly more.

Most of my advise comes from experience, some that I have heard on the field, in regards to flying I have been racing nitro cars for 10 years, flying eleicopters for 3 and plane flying 2 months, now I spend around 25 hours at the field per week I fly most days

Edited by Guest

Chaps,

I really see no need for the grumpiness that seems to be building here.

It's just toy planes for goodness sakes :-)

If someone is rattling someone else's cage, then please stop. If your cage is being rattled, then just ignore it.

Any personal help is great fully received.

Any personal remarks may well be moderated.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jim (chairman)