This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

single to twin engine conversion

hi all, is it possible to convert a high wing plane to a twin engined plane.

this is what i mean:

taking the engine off the front end of the plane and using balsa, cover the old engine bay by making a cowling and then getting a second same sized engine and making a mount for them both to be mounted to the wings.

the reason why im asking is becoz id like to try it with my hi-boy precedent

yh thas me, i did but i had to get rid of my tank as my son is at the stage that hes pulling himself up on things to stand, the next pet im getting is a tarantula to sit next to my monitor on my comp desk.

if u need advice though, im happy to give it to ya :)

i think i may have just figured out how to do it, however theres a few options that i have in my mind, so ill share them and see what you think.

first thing to mention is that the current engine mount at the front of the plane will be covered up to form a smooth front end no matter what the options are.

option 1:

use the current wings (which have a foam core),

drill a series of straight holes to house carbon reinforcing rods to strengthen the wings,

use my rotary tool to cut 2 holes in the wings to sit the engines in,

build an engine carrying sub frame within these holes incorporating an aluminium engine mount,

send a network of piping through the wings for the carb and silencer,

build cowling around the engines once they are in place.

option 2:

build new wings using proper ribs and reinforcing throughout the wing structure,

during build of the wings, make them wider (across the wing rather than longer span) only having the same dimensions where the wings join the fuse,

join the wings using alu or carbon tubes for strength,

incorporate bolts into the fuse for the wings to attach to rather than elastic bands due to the added forces applied to the joint due to the engines,

maybe use wing "A" frames to help to hold up the wings (like what you get on cessna`s and cub`s).

option 3:

mix the above 2 options,

cut the current wing in half,

build a new center section of the wing incorporating the 2 engine mounts,

somehow join the 3 sections of the wings and reinforce during the join.

is there anything ive missed out as i think that ive thought of everything.

ive actually got an old tutor 40 wing that i maybe able to modify to accept 2 engines due to the stronger construction of the sub structure and the fact that it has a bigger area,

i think this also means that it has a higher loading capacity but if im wrong please do correct me on that.

what do you think about that as i dont have the fuse to the 40 aymore

• Club Members

What you are suggesting is very ambitious, twin engine planes are difficult enough when they are designed properly, never mind trying to adapt a trainer. I would get it flying as a single engine plane first if you are serious about flying. If you just want to try different things then just have a go with your own design. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum has attempted this so no one is likely to be able to offer you much advice. Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

yh i will post the progress, tbh, thas why im thinking of adapting an old tutor 40 wing, purely so i can use the precedents own wing to fly it on a single engine and then when the time comes to fit a twin engine setup, all i have to do is switch the wings over and see how it goes.

theses following features i know ill have to include though:

1.) wing mounted servos for the aerilons.

2.) servos mounted within the engines cowling for each engine.

3.) fuel tubing carried within the wings for the fuel and exhaust, which will be connected to a fuel tank mounted where the engine used to be held (the tank will be of a longer size to go through the firewall and into the normal engine bay for the CofG and balancing of the weight).

4.) finally i also know that the engines will have to be mounted upside down so that the strength is kept within the mounting within the wing itself.

what i will do is, ill post pics of the progress of the job as i do it, just so that if it works, everyone can see how it would be accomplished.

As Trevor says, all very ambitious. Twins are definately in the advanced category and not for beginners.

You'd be MUCH better off spending your money on a simulator and joining a local club, and getting some airtime and one-to-one advice on just ONE airframe if you are serious about learning to fly. Do you have your insurance now by the way?

Just a couple of notes about twin engines: each engine needs its own tank, next to the engine.

What do you mean about tubing in the wing for the exhaust? Just have an exhaust on each engine.

Theres no need to mount them inverted - in fact, this makes most engines less reliable, which is what you really need to avoid with twins. Mount them the normal way up or on their side.

As Trevor says, all very ambitious. Twins are definately in the advanced category and not for beginners.

You'd be MUCH better off spending your money on a simulator and joining a local club, and getting some airtime and one-to-one advice on just ONE airframe if you are serious about learning to fly. Do you have your insurance now by the way?

Just a couple of notes about twin engines: each engine needs its own tank, next to the engine.

What do you mean about tubing in the wing for the exhaust? Just have an exhaust on each engine.

Theres no need to mount them inverted - in fact, this makes most engines less reliable, which is what you really need to avoid with twins. Mount them the normal way up or on their side.

i have tried joining the local club but they aint interested in replying to any of my 20 or so emails about joining there club.

as for tubing for the exhaust, i meat if i was using a single tank for both engines, meaning running the tubing to join the exhaust to the tank.

and oh, i didnt think mounting the engine normal way up or on its side was doable on a wing so thanks for that info.

as for bmfa, yep i have bought some, but only very recently as i used to use a private farmers field to fly, i didnt think i wouldve needed it as i was the only 1 there but ive had to change location so i bought the bmfa.

• Club Members

It could be that no one is looking at emails at your local club, it might be better to visit them at their flying field one weekend and ask about membership. Then you can see what their facilities are like including training and decide if you want to join and if they have a waiting list. Which club is it?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

its southampton model flying club and there flying site is to far for me to get to due to no transport as they fly at beaulieu air field and im about 7-10miles away and i dont have a car atm, ive also filled in 3 applications to join tbh and still nothing.