This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

AcroWot ARTF Mk2 Build Thread

arun

• Club Members
. Also found myself childishly amused by the shape of the main cut out in the cowl - clearly this plane is "all man"

Who has had too much beer :)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I've finally sobered up (thanks Trevor ;)) and managed to make some progress on this. Been distracted as usual by other interesting (Magnatilla) and not so interesting things (work). I dare say people have hardly been able to concentrate in anticipation of this next update, so here it is...

All the control surfaces are wired up. I replaced the stock linkages with some carbon fibre ones I made myself as described above (elevator) and better quality hardware from SLEC (all around).

[attachment=3]photo 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]photo 2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]photo 3.JPG[/attachment]

Pretty much all that remains is to sort out the throttle connection which should be easy enough but will require some mods to suit my Saito, then install the tank and tidy up the electrics and give the covering a quick once over with the iron.

[attachment=0]photo 4.JPG[/attachment]

Looking good for a maiden in early/mid-March, although I want to get the Maggy ready to for a blockbuster session to kick off the season seeing as the weather is currently so lame.

Got the throttle linkage done...

Went for a ball link on the engine end attached by soldered thread to some thing gauge piano wire. Simple z-bend at the servo end. Due to servo positioning the side on angle of the linkage is fairly large, which coupled with the need for the solder extender to pass through the firewall, has meant opening a fairly large hole in the firewall to clear the linkage at all positions. Once has been fuel-proofed with some epoxy it should be fine, although could let oil/fuel into the tank bay ... but probably no more so than the central firewall hole for the fuel feeds etc.

I would be interested to hear approaches/see photos of as many different throttle linkages as people feel like posting - I always find it is where I need to be most creative!

A large exit angle:

photo 2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]photo 4.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]photo 3.JPG[/attachment]

Nearly there!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, she balances nearly perfectly with no lead added and all the electronics provisionally in place. Good news, but bear in mind I installed a hunking Saito 82, I hate to think how much lead you'd need up front with a lightweight 2-stroke! I think it will probably end up with a small amount of lead at the tail to put it bang on the "standard" CoG and then we'll see how it looks after trimming flights. I have to say that the Great Planes balancer is worth every penny, lovely to work with.

[attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]

All assembled, with lights on ... pretty pleased with the effect. Now just need some decent weather for a maiden...

[attachment=0]photo (1).JPG[/attachment]

• Club Members

With regard the holes in the firewall, I have found that leaving them open is a recipe for a messy problem.

The fuel pipe outlet hole can be plugged with a flexible seal like silicone.

The throttle outlet rod/clevis can probably be sealed with the lightweight rubber concertina (bellows type) grommet use to protect cycle brake cables from dirt entry into the outer at either end. Cycle shops sell these.

• 1 month later...

Finally gave the AcroWot its maiden flight at the field today. Sunshine and low-wind made it uneventful. Needed two clicks of right aileron to trim and took less than a minute before I was making the airframe do far more than is considered polite on a first date; I guess it's the kind of airframe that inspires confidence! The Saito didn't miss a beat and a lovely low idle around 2600 meant touch-n-go after touch-n-go. Thanks to Sam for spotting for me. Roll on next week :)