This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Phoenix CAMFC - Fickleshole Site Build Thread

• Club Members

Hi Everyone,

As you may know, recently we have re-started the project of creating a Fickleshole site on Phoenix RC Simulator. I thought it would be good to create a build thread to make new versions easier to find.

The files are held on Google code as they are generally far too big to be uploaded directly to the forum. This thread will be updated with every new version that gets released. Previous, current and source code versions are also available by visiting the projects website created by Arun.

I wish to encourage as much feedback as possible, so if you have any ideas as to how it can be improved please post below. There are plans to re-take the scenery background to improve optics but in the meantime - something is far better than nothing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHERE TO DOWNLOAD...

LATEST VERSION 0.3.2 Download from HERE .. 13.2Mb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO INSTALL...

• Download the zip file from the link above to your computer
  • Find and then right click on the zip file once downloaded and click Extract All
  • Navigate to "Documents\PhoenixRC\Downloaded\Sites\User-made\" and Click Extract
  • (on older versions of Phoenix this was "My Documents\PhoenixRC\Flying sites")
  • Open Phoenix and the site should appear at the bottom under "User-Content"
  • Enjoy!

CHANGELOG v0.3.2:

REMOVED ANNOYING BARRIERS AT ENDS OF RUNWAY

IMPROVED HEIGHT MAP

IMPROVED OPTICS

RE-ALIGNED SKYLINE

MAPPED OUT PIT AREA

ROUGHLY MODELED OUT THE CARS AND OTHER HAZARDS

MADE PIT AREA AS OPTICALLY CORRECT AS POSSIBLE

APPLIED ALPHA MASK TO CUBEMAP

CHANGELOG v0.3.1:

Purpose of update:

To help resolve ongoing optical issue, model unable to crash into fur tree, elements of simulation not working/missing.

-CREATED BOUNDARIES AROUND RUNWAY

-RAISED PLANE FLOOR

-SMOOTHED OUT RUNWAY HEIGHT MAP

-LOWERED LEVEL AT END OF RUNWAY BY FUR TREE

-ADJUSTED DISTANCE OF BARE TREE(BEHIND PILOT AREA) AND FUR TREE

-CREATED WINDSOCK

-MOVED POSITION OF SUN (LIGHTING)

CHANGELOG v0.3:

Initial version modeled by shanemarsh28.

Edited by Guest
  • 3 years later...
  • Club Members

Can any one help me please?

I tried to download the Fickleshole site using the link above but got a page not found error. Somehow (and I really don't know how I did it) I managed to find the zip files another way and downloaded them - thank you.

I loaded the site and although I get the scenery the aircraft I select appears in the centre of the screen as a huge a line of pixels, ( no I know it's late on Saturday night but I have not been drinking!)

If I load a different site I can see the aircraft properly. Any ideas as to what I have done wrong please?

I am running the latest version of software and have applied all the updates.

Many thanks In advance to all you lovely tech savvy people :D

• Club Members

Oh my! I completely forgot this was still here.

I will try and find the files again for this and update the post.

Thank you. I guess it's what happens when a newbie starts learning to fly and reading the forums :oops:

• Club Members

Thank you. I guess it's what happens when a newbie starts learning to fly and reading the forums :oops:

OK! I have managed to find the last release. Sorry for the delay. It's available for download here:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/camfc ... /downloads

As you'll see from how old this post is, it's not been touched in years so I have no idea if it will still work correctly! I've re-joined as a member this year so I'll be firing up the simulator this evening (once I've charged my transmitter!) and have a go myself.

Assuming all is well - happy flying!

• Club Members

Okies so it seems it does still work in Phoenix 5.5l

The directory has changed though. Please download and extract into: Documents\PhoenixRC\Downloaded\Sites\User-made\

** ANY MODERATOR **

Please can you update my permissions so that I can edit the origional post of this tread. Thank you :)

• Club Members

Please can you update my permissions so that I can edit the origional post of this tread.

I can't edit user permissions, but I can edit posts, so I've done that as the next best thing. Can you please check it to see that I've done it correctly. I'm not sure why you can't edit the post - I thought all users could edit their own posts.

You can edit your own post but only back to a few hours or so. Before that, even one day, you can't :roll:

Anyone thinking of flying in the week? Just got back from army camp so would like some flying time!

B :wink:

• Club Members

I haven't downloaded this item, but out of interest, is the wooden shanty town visible, or has some nice person wiped it?

It would be nice to see Fickleshole field restored to its former glory :-)

That is all,

Oily :wink:

• Club Members

There are significant problems with the (now quite ancient) CAMFC site for Phoenix Simulator, its not a matter of the T.W.A. unsightly and illegal crap not being there in view!

Sadly, it's not a question of putting a camera on a tripod and clicking away, if anyone thinks they are up for it. Its a task needing the right conditions and patient accurate set up and operation.

On the current set:-

1. The occasion when the photos were taken to compose and stitch together the visual landscape was unfortunately a time of day with extremely flat dull light, so the result was the numerous photos to make up the set were all extremely poorly lit with poor depth indication and definition. This was not helped by a low exposure setting on the camera (for this purpose all the pics need equally to be marginally over exposed on a good contrast day).

2. The height of the camera was well below eye level. (Most hobby user tripods are inherently unsuitable, would need additional help to get the height required, and it matters).

3. The camera and tripod were not levelled and fixed accurately enough, so when rotated did not give correct angular perspective to the overall sloping site.

4. A accurate Indexing Head was not set up and used to keep the cameras photo focal point exactly the same regardless of angle of inclination and rotation.

:(

Having at that time recently built a large number of sites for Phoenix (more than 30), sometimes from other Sim generated pictures to a very different standard, sometimes from freeware panoramas not intended for Sims, and been a Beta Tester for Phoenix 3, I offered to take the site set over part done when the originators hit issues and try to produce a result. With the above issues dogging every attempt, I spent a LONGGGGGG time over it, but failed.

I spent ages trying to lighten but retain usable contrast in the photos but getting a matching set proved impossible even with £500 software I was well used to using.

The published site was as good as it could be got at that time but ultimately was crippled by the photo set issues and also Creator limitations. There were also issues at that time as Creator could not accurately create a site map which had an overall slope (our site is down right to left as you fly even before the valley which most people will recognise, but is more than your brain will register!)

Since then Phoenix Builder has replaced Phoenix Creator. Its possible, but only a "possible" given the other problems the current "programmers" have created themselves with the main Sim and been unable to solve :x , that this would create a better result, but the photo set issues make an attempt unproductive. I have not used Builder on making a site, only models.

If anyone has a professional quality digital SLR with (essentially!) a fully lockable high quality indexing head, and wishes to have a go, I can assist with more info on how and when to do the task, the above might make it sound impossible, its not, but needs a patient and accurate approach, and the right conditions when nobody else is around to spoil the view :mrgreen: .

Ideally it needs to be done mid morning in late spring/summer when nobody else is there so a Bank Holiday is good for that, but as we all know, waiting for good weather to happen on a BH is like looking for rainbow gold. :lol::lol: