This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

IC Engine Manufacturers

• Club Members

I thought it was about time, as I look at buying an engine for a new plane I did a bit of research on where they came from and which one is best.

After some digging I found that the main importer for the most common model 2/4 stroke engines into the UK is Just Engines who in turn gets supplied from a company called Sanye Precision Machinery based in China.

Having some spent some time out on the field, many members and modelers have a preference on what type of engine is best - ASP, RCV, SC, Evolution, OS, Irvine etc, and I suppose for the most part it's based on experience, the type of kit you fly with, available funds and personal choice.

From what I've seen, It's like they are all one in the same. Sayne appear to be branding engines depending on the distributor or the country It's being sent to. Super Custom, ASP, Magnum and Evolution engines appear to be made in the same factory, by the same robots and checked by the same people in one building thus, an SC .46 2-stroke is identical to an ASP .46 2-stroke. Also, from what I can tell, the Magnum XLS .46A is the exact same engine as the SC46A-S (Rear Needle). Furthermore, as OS recently bought out Irvine and are now also based in China - given that we appear to be in closed industry as far as engines are concerned, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of their engines are also being made at the Sayne factory.

I later find via reading several online forums, engines of the same sizes across these brands (ASP, SC and Evolution etc), the carbs and heads appear to be interchangeable as the bores, ports, stroke, threads and fixings are identical. It has also been mentioned, as an example that the Irvine .46 and OS .46AX engines have the same bore and and stroke length hense, it would fit. The only difference being that Irvine has 6 head bolts, rather than OS's 4 head bolts.

This appears to makes sense because when the high speed needle was replaced in my SC engine, it was with an needle out of a .46 sized ASP engine. Perfect fit! So, does anyone else have have any experience or knowledge of this?? I'm curious now because unless you want a Saito or Irvine/OS - to my mind, you might as well just find the cheapest deal on whatever "brands" there are available ... :D

Shane :plane:

• Club Members

I think you are right Shane. If you want one of the cheaper engines there is no detectable difference between, say, SC and ASP and you might as well shop around for the cheapest deal. I have some ASP 4-strokes and an SC 2-stroke and they all perform very well with no real issues, though I have known people who have had these engines and could not get them running properly. Whether this was poor running in or a manufacturing problem, such as yours with the needle valve, who knows. Buying from someone like Just Engines could help as they have good after sales service and can help correct such problems.

If you want to spend more then Saito, OS, Laser, YS, RCV and others definitely give a step up in quality. I prefer Saito 4-strokes over ASP but sometimes paying almost double the price just isn't worth the difference in quality. As always, you gets what you pays for.

A couple of notes regarding the Sanye range: In the unlikely event that you hadn't noticed (!) these are OS clones, about a generation behind the times and there is nothing wrong with that. Note however that Magnum engines are shinier looking presumably having been cast with more care and/or better materials/tools. There is a price premium to pay of course, and I've no idea if a Magnum's are better than ASP or SC internally by any significant measure.

It seems ASP engines have a slightly better finish compared to SC too which would explain why SC are the cheapest of the lot. Again I wouldn't like to speculate if internal QA is any different between the ranges. I would hope not as the factory would have more SC engines returned compared to the others and you would expect modellers to notice and make it known if it was the case..

One quick note regarding Saito motors: sure they are powerful and revy motors ideal for performance models, but they prefer high nitro fuel to perform and consequently drink it rapidly so they can be expensive to run. Someone was telling me the current Saito range was designed to meet the needs of early 3D/prop-hanging models 10+ years ago before electric power virtually took over that market. Might explain why they like revving fast and guzzling high-nitro fuel! To be fair you don't HAVE to run them on high nitro but other motors seem happier on less so its just something to consider..

Sam

• Club Members

Currently I have in models, so ready to use, about 25 model engines, nearly all two stroke, nearly all 52/53 sized. Do have 1x70, 1x75, 2x90 class, 4x32/36 Class. These range from SC through OS to Laser.

I REALLY like the Thunder Tiger Redline 53 Heli engine, wonderful low reliable idle, excellent throttle response, easy tuning and enormous power. I have three and a new unused one "parked" that was suddenly offered for a pittance. No experience of the fixed wing engines from them, but suggest they should be at least looked at as an option.

Not an OS fan, the old 50SX Heli was OK, but the 50 Hyper suffers bearing issues though so far mine has escaped. The OS 91 "C" spec engine I have is a complete pain in the a***, once you get it warm its OK, but its compression cold is SO high it stalls a good 12v starter WITH THE PLUG OUT!!!

Many years ago I started using Fox 19's for Club 20 Pylon. I was being laughed at as the engines looked cheap n nasty polished "tin"...but they had not worked out that they were highly polished internally so the porting was not only well shaped but low drag..they were not laughing when I started lapping them!! :wink:

Also years ago I really rated Enya engines (now imported by Steve Webb), but don't have any now.

Have a SC 52 and 91, both been very good.

Not convinced Just Engines are the centre of the universe they think they are, but hey.............. :wink:

Thunder Tiger engines in my experience are fantastic. If you want an engine for general fun fly use you can't beat the Thunder Tiger GP 42 - very simple, reliable and extremely good value for money.

The other really good fun fly engine is the Irvine 39, but that is more expensive if it's still available.

• Club Members
The other really good fun fly engine is the Irvine 39, but that is more expensive if it's still available.

The last of the UK made Irvines? I have one, and its idle is as slow and reliable as an EP is to restart, superb.

• Club Members
Modelzone seem to have the GP 42 for £39.99 at the moment :D

and so they are .. with free P+P aswell!!!! :D It's worth finding out a bit more about that engine, especially for that price!

The last of the UK made Irvines? I have one, and its idle is as slow and reliable as an EP is to restart, superb.

Sounds a bit like the illusive Irvine 53 - becoming rare now. :(

I've got two Gp 42's and never had a moments trouble with them. They are also very small and light and very simple. The engine of choice for most fun fly and sport models in our Caterham club is the 42 and I must say the carbs are better than the Irvine ones, with less leaks!

• Club Members
Thunder Tiger engines in my experience are fantastic. If you want an engine for general fun fly use you can't beat the Thunder Tiger GP 42 - very simple, reliable and extremely good value for money.

Ordered. Arrives tomorrow morning! :D:D:D:D:D:D

You can't really go wrong for £39 :twisted:

It's funnny you should say about thundertiger engines though James, I've had 4 of them in the past, all be it sized .12 or .15 for a string of racing grade model cars and boats. I don't ever recall having any problems with them at all either - there not the most powerful engines for their size but they do seem to start, on the nose every time.

• Club Members

Haha cool! Well mine arrived today and there's a couple of things that surprised me, its got an air bleed carb?! Not seen those for years! To be honest, i didn't think they made them like that anymore. Will be fun to setup. Also I was staggered to find a glow plug included with the engine!! Got no idea how there making any money on this. Very well spotted James. Many many thank you's :D