This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Avicraft Panic Aerobatic Bi-Plane

Stick to it look forward to seeing it on Sunday after 2 pm at the field.

:? Up after a 3 hours nap, been building all nigh and will build all day!!!!!!

Finished my home made tail wheel holder. "Tail wheel from Joe's crashed Extra, I think"

On woulds, and up woulds!

Not sure what Step now :) , lets just say 15 +. Did so much things that I can't rambler in what order.

As you will see from the photos "below", the Panic is about 95% finished. The 3 main things left to do are the Ailerons servo arms & the 2 wing tips holders and the two rods that connect the top ailerons control surfaces to the bottom ones.

I may chicken out of the ailerons arms that need to be solder and put the Z / L shape bend type instend.

There are also a few small things to do like :-

Cover RX & battery in form,

Add form tape, where the wings go....to stop them rubbing,

Cut fuel pipe to right length,

Extend aerial and stick it somewhere,

Etc, Etc.

Some of there thing I may do at the field today, also most likely people will spot small things I need to do as well at the field.

If she can't fly, then I can also just run the engine in!

Photos below show Panic at 95% ready.......I think :) :-

pic0977676x507ol9.jpg

pic0978676x507uz2.jpg

pic0979676x507sr2.jpg

P.s Thought is was going to be a long night of building, but don't looks it! But will still have to get up early to finish off!

On Sunday, Jimbo "Jedi Jim" had a good look over the Panic and pointed out what I needed "could" to change and some other stuff.

Also last Friday & this Sunday as well Jimbo "fix it", went throw the ins and outs of how to set up the servos, radio gear control rods / hons.

From that info, I am going to have to charge afew things. But this will not take to much time!

Building

There not much building at all to do now, its only small things that I need to do & change!

Wing control Surface's

Jimbo and some others pointed out that I have / may have them on the wrong way around!

By looking at the photos in the post above, is that true! If nobody sure I can just go to Avicraft in a week or 2 and ask!

LOL an-til I know for sure, I can't finish off the main building by putting in place the joining rods between the bottom and top ailerons.

Photo below, by Leon last Sunday :-

Shows Panic engine being run in on this first tank!

IMAG2877.jpg

Stephen - if you put the control rods in the EXACT centre of the ailerons, then it wont matter if you have to change them around will it?

One thing to make sure with the connecting rods - the sockets that you set into the ailerons for the balls to go into have to be set into the surface at an angle pointing towards the opposite aileron.

To explain, the lower wing sockets have to be angled forwards and the top wing sockets must be angled backwards.

If you dont do this, you wont get full movement of the balls in the holes.

Hope this makes sense....

Stephen - if you put the control rods in the EXACT center of the ailerons, then it wont matter if you have to change them around will it?

That sounds like it will work or should work! But because I did 4 x strips per control surface, I have close to run out of that stuff that holds them to the wing.

So will need to get some more of it, before I can start work on them!

One thing to make sure with the connecting rods - the sockets that you set into the ailerons for the balls to go into have to be set into the surface at an angle pointing towards the opposite aileron.

To explain, the lower wing sockets have to be angled forwards and the top wing sockets must be angled backwards.

If you don't do this, you wont get full movement of the balls in the holes.

Hope this makes sense....

Thanks for the reminder and yes it dose make sense, Master Jedi Jim!

.........Just had another look at Rob's hand drawings / diagrams for the carbon aileron tube and it dose show what you have explained :P

But it don't explain what angle they should be put in at! So do I just have an intelligent guest?

Doh! x10 That page also shows that the wider aileron parts is closer to the fuselage, and not like I have done wrong :(:oops::oops:

Why didn't I see that in the first place :x

O well you live and learn, or should I say, I mosty crash and burn :lol: !

Just get yourself some more aeleron hinge material and re-do the alerons - it will pay off in the long run and is a very simple fix.

Regards the ball sockets, if yo look at the model from the side, with the aelerons in their neutral position, imagine a line drawn between the two ball sockets. The open face of each socket wants to be pointing straight down this line to the other socket.

The idea is that in the neutral (middle) position the ball is in the centre of each socket.

If you make a little card template up with the angle between the wings on one edge it can help you to set the same angle of the socket in the wing.

Jimbo, still posting - haven't you got something better to be doing?

LOL with all this info & help, you would have thought he was getting married to me! :shock:

BIG up thanks Jimbo! :P

Been talking off and on all day about my control surfaces, and I think I will leave them as they are for the time being. Yes they are wrong, but they will only add more row rate, with maybe the down side of the Panic not handing so good with very low speeds.

If I find it dose make life hard, with in a min I will change them around!

• 2 months later...

Well its finished now and about bl00dy time to :shock::?

Hmm well it was fully finished about 3 weeks ago, but wanted to fly the Bi-Pangster abit first!

Should be coming to a field near you soon! I don't think you could miss it!

P.s Lets just hope I can fly it alot better, than I can do solar filming :lol:

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would up-date about my Panic !

Done quite about of flying with my Panic now, which is now close to 1 year old very soon....well in away!

Had alot of fun with it, haven't used it that much for abit, due to getting the RipMax Bossanovr, which has turned out to be ALOT of fun to fly!

I mo-sty fly the Boss. alot just to rub it into Leon's face because I know he wants one :lol:

Anyway back to the super Panic!

The last time I flew it was at the home of the Panic " Concord Field ", which was the Panic Team pracy. Had about 3 flights there, which was abit crazy & much fun as there was around 5+ Panics all trying to do the same stuff, close together and in time with each other!

If you have never flow in a group then its a musted try! Its a real eye opener, as its not all about your model, but every-ones else's to!

Another great day I had with the Panic was the "Avicraft Day Out", which was also held at the Concord field. Panic's as far as the eye could see, all in a row in the pits, ready to be used!

Lol was funney when people had to look & think twice, which was there Panic as many of them had the new ARTF Panic! HEHE even the main man him self "Rob Newman" walk passed his Panic afew times, trying to find it amount the row of Rainbow Panic's!

As much as I like my Panic. I am thinking of going for one of the ARTF ones in the future! As this was my first build and the cracks are starting to show....e.g my very bad solorfilming!

I would keep the Irvine 72, but would replace the standard servos with much better ones!

I think I will wait and see what other colour they may / will bring out later on! I thinking of getting a Pink one, with White control surfaces! :?:shock:

Anyway.....Long live the Panic ! :P

• 1 year later...
  • Club Members

A long time passes since last post in this thread, but didn't want to start another.............. Still got yours, Steve??? :)

Flew mine today...........my first I.C. powered plane since 1978!!

White ARTF, graphics as links below:-

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php ... c3_Web.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php ... c2_Web.jpg

SC 91 Two Stroke. Capable of vertical while on the edge of four stroking on a bit more than half throttle. Hopefully with two good flights today on top of three ground runs following SC's full throttle and back off run in procedure it'll be broken in and can be opened up next time.

Really pleased, as I didn't need to touch any trims.

Also pleased to find that with only the wing end plates unclipped it can be transported whole in my Focus hatch.............