This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Avicraft Panic Aerobatic Bi-Plane

Going to take my time building this. Well there not much building to be done anyway :)

In this photo you can see everything you need to build and fly this plane :-

untitledpn8.jpg

As you can see its not the old full wooden body Panic, its the fiberglass one.

There isn't much of a manual, so I will build it from what they said to do at Avicraft / other people have said.

I have been told that you don't get a good manual as there are lots of way of doing the setup / things.

Also the manual is for the wooden body plane, so much of it can be passed over!

There are also 3 more info sheets :-

1. Diagram for the tube that connects top wing aileron with bottom wing aileron,

2. Diagram showing how to fix Fin / Rudder in to main body end,

3. Diagram for how to fix undercarriage & bulkhead.

That's about it for now.

P.s Yes I know the bright color covering will make you throw up....

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a site I am using to help me build the Panic, but as you can see its for the full wooden one. So only a pointer of what to do in some of the photos.

Project Panic :-

http://www.plainslane.fsnet.co.uk/project%20panic.htm

Some Photo's :-

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=Avicraft%20Panic&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

Edit :- Also the Panic I have is not the one which has the 2 top wing flaps joined together.

Step 1 : Glued the 2 top wing holders into place, with Epoxy :-

pic0538512x384gv9.jpg

Step 2 : Glued with Epoxy the 4 wings parts together, to make the top & bottom wings :-

pic0541512x384kp8.jpg

Step 3 : Glued the 9cm By 14cm veneer center sheets with Epoxy, on the top side & bottom side of both wings

"Update" As I thought and also talk with others it is best to put the servos in the lower wing before you glue veneer center sheets in place. At the time of doing this part I didn't know how / where I was going to put the servos in, so that is why I did this first.

pic0543512x384jv6.jpg

I then cut the over hang off of the veneer sheet & sanded it flushes with the trailing edge of the wing.

Edited by Guest
You'll enjoy the panic, you can fly it like a trainer or a complete hooligan.

Jimbo was saying that to last week. Most likely will set it up like a trainer at first.....Don't want it to go from Build to Boom on its first flight.

Look forward to seeing at the field.

Well I don't think you could miss it at the field, due to the very sickly bright colors you could see 10 miles away :shock: .

Edited by Guest

"Update" It is also best to place the servos in before you do the Cap strips also, but this can be hard if you don't know where you want them to go. Or this is your first Panic build or have been told to place them later on in the building.

If I was going to do this part and the part above again, I would mark out the veneer center sheets & Cap strips with a felt-tip pen like I did before gluing them in place. Then I would cut out where I wanted them to be & then places the servos, servos wires, servos housing where I wanted them.

Step 4 :- Marked out on the top and bottom of both wings where the cap strips are going to be. "Cap strips are 3 inch apart".

pic0546512x384jt8.jpg

Step 5 :- Glued the Cap strips in place with Copydex Latex "Fish glue :P "

pic0547512x384fz7.jpg

Step 6 :- Cut away the Cap strips over hangs and also sanded the Cap strips so they are flush with the trailing edge of the wing.

Below :- One wing finished "top wing" and other has to have its Cap strips over hang removed & sanded.

pic0548512x384di7.jpg

Below :- A Close up :-

pic0550512x384im5.jpg

Edited by Guest

Step 7 :- Glued with Epoxy the 4 trailing edge onto the trailing edge of both wings. Each of them were about 1 inch to big for the for each wing part, so had to cut of the end bit and sand down later.

Also as this is not the top wing joint flap Panic, I could have cut the trailing edge pieces to the same size as the control surfers. But I decided to have them run the whole way along the trailing edge on both top & bottom wing. "This should also at more strength to the wing, where the rubber bands go"

Below :- "Top Wing" Whole wing trailing edge done, "Bottom Wing" Gluing beaning down.

pic0551512x384ie9.jpg

Step 8 :- Glued the 8 male studs onto the end wing pieces " 2 on each wing tip".

I didn't sew the studs in place, I just used Epoxy! After that I glued the wing tips onto the ends of the both wings.

"Update" Just been told that is best to sew the male studs in-place so they have abit of play to them. I will now try and sew the female one instend when I get around to that part.

Below :- I think the photo specks for its self......... :)

pic0555512x384gb6.jpg

Step 9 :- Marked out 5 Cm's each side of where both wings joined in the middle, then glued with Epoxy the fiberglass tape around both wings.

Ones again as this is not the top joint wing flap Panic, I Glued the FG tape all the way around so both ends meet / over lap.

As I don't have a full flap version & am not putting servos into the middle of both wings, then the FG tape will not get in the way or stop the flap from moving smoothly. "Also should add more straight to the wing joint to"

Below :- Top wing has FG tape glued and dying, Bottom wing marked out and ready for FG tape and gluing.

pic0557512x384bn2.jpg

Step 10 :-

Glued with Epoxy the tail parts together & also glued all the Rubber parts together as well...

"Don't think that needs a boring photo :) "

Edited by Guest

There are lots of ways of setting up the landing gear, but this is how I am doing it :-

Step 11 :- Was told that you don't need to have the Bulkhead / firewall installed with the fiberglass fuselage Panic, but I thought I would put it in anyway for more straight as I was going to glue my own homemade landing gear in-er support.

Well I glued it ones with Epoxy and it then fell out after 30Min's of drying time, so I re-glued it again.......Then when I was drilling the hole for the engine mounting it also fell off again lol.

Well then I thought maybe that's why they say you don't need it, its to hard to get it to glue to the front inside :) , anyway I glue it again, BIG time this time...!

Step 11.1 :- I make my own in-er main gear support rig, as I thought it would give more straight for my new-be landings :).

I measured and cut two pieces of Ply broad so they both fitted inside the front of the fuselage "touching the firewall", the top part of Ply wood had a few mms of over hang on both long sides.

The part looks like a swashed or very flat T shape / T bar, I needed to have it like a T shape because the of the rounded sides of the fuselage, this also aloud the 4 support parts to be glued to the sides of the fuselage and the support rig.

Top Part :- 11 Cm by 7.6 Cm by 3 Mm

Bottom part :- 11 Cm by 7 Cm by 3 Mm

4 Support :- Came in the box :)

P.s I did have to do alot of sanding & a bit of cutting and coner rounding to get it to fit in nice

Below :- Shows what the rig will look like inside the fuselage.

pic0560512x384to4.jpg

Also another reason why I didn't use the two pieces that are supply-ed for the undercarriages to be screwed into, is because I am going to cut them up and make them smaller so I can use them to add more support for the 2 wing bars hole's that have rods throw them that hold the wing in-place with rubber bands

Step 11.2,3,4,5,6,7 :-

Placed & screwed landing gear,

Drilled and placed rubber engine mountings,

Drilling holes for rods to hold lower wing in place,

Reinforced lower wing rods with 2cm by 2cm blocks of Ply "inside",

Drilled & sanded out circus for the head of the fuel tank.

Cut slot close to the back end of fuselage for tail to slot into.

Photo below showing most of them steps above :-

pic0748512x384lo1.jpg

Below : Ready to fly!..........Maybe not :) :-

pic0749512x384nx1.jpg

Update

Would have been better to have placed the rubber engine mounts more offset to the right, so when the engine is attached the exhat- pipe go's throw the rubber band easy-er "straight down the fuselage".

Also as I have the Bulkhead / firewall installed, the fuel tanks head doesn't come to far outside the front of the fuselage, this makes it much harder to glue and will also now need added support inside as well.

"This is also why people don't use the bulkhead, I think to"

Step 12 : Installed the wing servos the best I could......OMG all I can say is it looks like Jack the Ripper has had his way here :shock::( ......

The main problem was, as I said before in above posts. I should have placed servos & etc. in before I did anything to the wing.

The second big 2 problem where the size of the servos them self & bl00dly servo holders. "Mosty the servo holders"

They are just abit to big for the wing, there depth is very close to the depth of the wing "trailing edge part". So I had to glue veneer sheets on the opposite side, because I could see light coming throw the foam wing, after I can cut out the space for the holder.....doh!

I had also already started to cut the foam away with a razor blade for the servo wire's, before I found out you could use a hot screw driver to melt the foam away.......

O well I did my bested, even if it looks like a 9 year old did it :?

Photo below, shows from a distance :) , what I have done :-

pic0750512x384ck7.jpg

O well I did my bested, even if it looks like a 9 year old did it :?

A 9 year old could probably build a better plane and fly the better built plane better than me :)

It is looking good Stephen, you are almost there now, I always find the last 10%-15% of a build the hardest, sorting out all the naggerly (is that a word) bits.

What colour are the wings going to be, will I need to wear my nuclear eye protection shades when you fly it :lol: .

Did you want to borrow an iron, I have an old cloths one that I use every now and then for applying solar film?

Looking good Stephen - those servo wires came out OK I think! You could always notch the glass wing band so that they come up inside the fuselage - I dont think that will affect the strength too much.

Another couple of days....

Looking good Stephen - those servo wires came out OK I think! You could always notch the glass wing band so that they come up inside the fuselage - I dont think that will affect the strength too much.

Another couple of days....

Yes will be doing that, just last night around 3am I gave up........

Couldn't go on any more :)

It is looking good Stephen, you are almost there now, I always find the last 10%-15% of a build the hardest, sorting out all the naggerly (is that a word) bits.

The 3 mains thing to do are :-

Install fuss servos & little things to do with them,

Solar cover and then put control surfaces on.

And then run engine in.

What color are the wings going to be, will I need to wear my nuclear eye protection shades when you fly it :lol:.

Your going to need Nuclear black out shades x 10!!!! Well the wing color not to bright, but the control surface color is bright as hell!

When I first thought about getting a Panic after people said how good they were, I thought I would paint it military color scheme "WW 2 spit / mustang type".....lol with D-Day invasion strips :D:lol:

Well my next one, and there will be a next one, I will most likely do that color scheme.

But in the end its best to see it, than to crash it because it looks cool.....right

Here a photo of the colors & what parts will be what colors :-

pic0751512x384em2.jpg

Did you want to borrow an iron, I have an old cloths one that I use every now and then for applying solar film?

I'm thinking about buying a molders baby iron thing, they only cost around 20 to 25 Pounds. Well be my first time at solar film, so I will need all the help I can get!

Also if I buy one & an air gun thing, you lot can brought them both...

Thanks for the ofter, but if I don't get molders iron, I can just use an old one I have that I used for my Panstger

Thanks for the ofter, but if I don't get molders iron, I can just use an old one I have that I used for my Panstger

Thats why your wing is so stright and crease free :D

Well not done much building over the last few days! Been having fun with other's and there Pangster at the field.

The weather has been rain & wind then Sun and no wind than back to rain & wind + some thunder and lightening and so on. In the bracks of Sun shine we were up :o .

As other have said its the weather for the Pangster, so that's what we have been flying.........."Pangster day out"

Anyway Step :- 13

Made a servo tray, all I now have to do is add some supports and then glue in-place.

pic0757512x384ca4.jpg

LOL :( , as you can see from all the trays in the back ground, it touch me a few "5" go to get it just right....

Mk 5 tray just needs abit more work and then will be ready for placement!

O yes, also spend abit of time sanding down what needed to be sanded down "e.g Cap strips trailing edge with trailing edge", so now everything is ready for the solar filming.

ARRgghhh........binded......can't see keyboard

Looking good, so I take it the maiden flight is this weekend?

If I pushed myself very hard then yes it could be ready, but not sure if I want to build for along time in a row. I like to do something else after about 1 hour to 2 hour of building.

Maybe it will be 95% ready on Sunday, so maybe just do the engine run in and some taxiing about.

I also think I am going to run out of solar film for 1 part of the wing an way.

lol also like you are blinded now so you can't see your keyboard.......Think about me working 1 to 2 feet away for hours on end!! Sunglasses are a must in the front room :shock:8)

Step 14 :- Cover the wings with Solar film..........Hmm well I did my best and that why is don't look so good lol.

After talking to Jimbo & Andre at the field about the art of solar filming...... I now think I know how it should be done right, and will try and get it right next time / on another wing or plane!

Anyway! So know I am thinking should I try and take it all off and then re-cover it again, or just do the last part of the wing and leave it as is!?

Photo :- Not sure if you will be able to see what I mean by "I did my best", but here go's anyway :-

pic0971676x507ld4.jpg

pic0972676x507ol6.jpg

pic0973676x507fi2.jpg

pic0974676x507hc7.jpg

Looks OK to me...

Somthing you could try. If you have a heat gun, try warming the film panels between the cap strips and see if it pops off the foam underneath.

Works sometimes!

Look forward to seeing it flying.

Looks OK to me...

Somthing you could try. If you have a heat gun, try warming the film panels between the cap strips and see if it pops off the foam underneath.

Works sometimes!

Look forward to seeing it flying.

Yes I have a heat gun as well....lol its called Top Gun!.....

Hmm well with my stupidity I thought that the solar film "panels" should be stuck to the foam between the cap strips........DOH!

Will try what you said and thanks, lol lets hope I don't burn the solar & form this time! Think I will not watch Band Of Brothers DVD and build :D

Photo below : Probably the better RC model workshop in the world...................

pic0975512x384ii0.jpg

.............Not!!!! :(

Today I have done :- Glued the fuel tank in & also added suppor foam around it, glued servro tray & tray supports in, all control surfaces are inplace now and some other stuff to!

LOL :( after spending about 1 to 2 hours trying to get the Elervator rod arm & what ever part line up right, so the servor / control flap / rod arm can move freely. I have throwen the tail in for to night / early morning!