This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Phoenix 5 - Check latest here before loading!

• Club Members
still stuck with version 1 :-(

oily

Not really any need to stay stuck though, for example, nobody is currently going for a v3.0 at low cost on EBay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOENIX-Professional-RC-Flight-Simulator-3-0-Multiplayer-/321313689757?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4acfc9d09d

And the Phoenix website provides free downloadable updates from 3.0 all the way up to the latest issue......v4.0q...........and will from that to v5 when it is released imminently.

• Club Members

Well, its issued..................but..................don't bother!!!!

People everywhere as of time this written are getting thrown off part way through...............another IT department triumph then, as their server should only accept the download numbers it can adequately deal with, and flag "try later" to those it cannot. Far too many people are getting so far and THEN being thrown out.

• Club Members

DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT LOAD THIS UPDATE.

It has SO many faults I cannot even begin to list them here, it is even crashing on numerous systems which are recent high performance computers and ran v4 perfectly.

5.0b working fine for me... I can tell because I still crash whenever I try a rolling harrier!

Hope you didn't have any user schemes cos you have just lost them.

Not ever bothered customising, it is just a tool for stick input training ... colours don't change that ;) So no damage done I guess...

• Club Members

Well they are now up to v5.0c, and my advice still stands, as its still far too bug ridden to be acceptable if you only have a single system.

I'm OK since I have side by side PC's one on 4.0q, one on 5.0c.

A few tiny examples of current issues:-

Crashing in Multiplay

Spitfire has Heli setup on top of Plane, gear also works "idle up" so gear down means full throttle, flap up means throttle hold!!!

Fokker DR-1 has FAR too much power, takes off in mm's and prop hangs and knife edges

A LOT of the plane physics are shot to hell, loss of precession during take off, etc, etc, etc.

Same settings in 4.0q work perfectly.

• Club Members

And now we get to the water planes, Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear!!

Beaver Floatplane, Lakeside

Behaves like ice, not water, virtually NO resistance, skids on and on and on, can even be turned sideways and even the side of the floats does not induce any drag!!

Default start position on this scenery spins the plane away from the bank!!

• Club Members

Ground interaction has always been a weak point of the simulation IMO - it's one of the things that makes takeoffs a bit too easy on the simulator. Other than one or two of the big warbirds, pretty much all of the models can be taken off by just whacking the throttle full open and pulling back once there's a bit of speed. No nosing over, no ground loops. It was a bit of a shock to first try taking off a real plane and find it wandering all over the runway!

That said, if they're going to provide a water environment, then they should at least make a bit of an effort! Presumably if the plane will indeed slide sideways on the water then there is a difference from their ground model (where the wheels would pull it round in a circle assuming speed is low enough to avoid tipping over).

Martin

• Club Members

No update yet.............

For the record............I won't list detail here, but I have just put yet another list of bugs I have found inside 5.0c back to Support, seven more in this one mail, and that is the sixth EMail from me to them for 5.0c alone.

• Club Members
Is that deliberate, or has v5 crashed your pc?

TEE HEE............

That is one of the few things it is NOT doing, it is crashing, but not taking the PC (on Win7) with it.