This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

F2B

Well I've finally found a colour scheme in which to complete my Bristol Fighter.

I was spurred on at last club night when Oily craftily got Roger to half cover his - very cheeky if you ask me ;)

So - its a race to the finish Peter!!!!!

I might post some pics here as things progress, but Peter won't cause he's a complete bufoon when it comes to photos eh Pete??? ;)

:D :D :D

I wonder who will take to the air first... drinks on the loser?

Right well I've covered everything but the fuselage now....

I am having a moment trying to decide whether or not to do rib stitching detail... each wing has 22 visible ribs, that's an awful lot of stitching with two wings and the top and bottom to be done as well as the stabilisers, four ailerons, two elevator halves and the rudder...

This of course is on top of the fuselage stitching on the model which is going to be a job in itself.

How you going Oily??

IMG_4625.JPG.608adc093404b9fef5638fdc74bdc7c7.JPG

Now here's a question....

If I am going to do rib stitching, and I am also going to hinge the ailerons with Solartex as flair suggest, which comes first? The rib stitching, or the hinge?

I suspect that cos the hinge is not scale, then I should try and hide it under the stitching anyhow - what's the opinions on that then??

The design of the Flair ailerons in their scout series is such that the ailerons are designed to be hinged at the top surface, rather then on the centre-line of the control. This makes using another hinge type a little more tricky Nutz.

I've started making my rib stitching tapes (at least the rain has been good for building) so we shall see how we got there.

Does anyone have any experience with rib tapes? My PVA seems prone to making the paper wrinkle under the thread which may be ok, or may not be...

I used the same method on my Tiger, but I cannot remember what I did regards the wrinkling.

As a footnote, if anyone wonders what all this talk of rib stitching is all about - just ask :)

• Club Members

8) oh yawn! hi jim, well I went to the field to see if it really was windy and raining. :shock: Guess! We watched Charlie and Spike get covered in mud, then we went home.

As regards hinges, I havent figured out yet why the ailerons don't touch the wings at the wingtips yet? They did when they were still joined together, then I cut them apart and glued them up like the instructions said, and now there's this odd gap at the ends of the wings!!!!!!! Just doesn't look right, so I've sort of abandoned it while I try and figure it out.

Was yours like that Jim? As regards the hinges, solartex joints are really strong. My Astrohog has been this way, and 5 years along the road they're still OK. I would imagine the forces on the Bristol ailerons would be much less than the Hog, so you can make your own mind up.

Yeah - my ailerons are the same. I remember worrying about the aileron leading edge caps when I put them on, and wondering why I had to trim the ribs to make them fit at the time.

As the ailerons are hinged at the top surface, as soon as the hinge line dips away, the hinge wont work anyhow, so I'm not worried.

Down.JPG.7bf0d7c8989b4f1af3623b36459587d8.JPG

Up.JPG.7fb002563d87845cc09cc2adb2ccb84c.JPG

Jim,

re the rib tapes why not make them out of Solartex. Then you can iron them on over the dobs of glue simulating the knots or of course you could buy the pinked rib tapes from mick reeves who sells these and they are cheap. Why not use hinges for the ailerons and close the gap with Solartex.

Just a thought

• Club Members

:D Hi Jimbo! Thanks for the confirmation with regard the Aileron gaps. What I've done is to take them apart again along the leading edge, and put in fillets and re-glued. The leading edge now looks slightly curved! When offered up against the trailing edge of the wing, however, BINGO!, looks perfect. I hope it all works when it is all fitted together! This problem has been worrying me for weeks, I hope now that I can get the Bristol finished for the Summer Season, maybe some formation flights with a good Friend? :wink:

See Ya!

No he didn't :)

I did admit that I'd used all the light grey paint and that I didn't like it. He said if I could get it all back in the can, including the gas, then he'd swap it for the darker grey you see in the pics :)

I'm going to try and cover the fus today... wish me luck :)

Finished covering the fuselage (after a trip to Avicraft and TJD).

What dya think?

Now I've got to do all that lacing along the longerons... :( NOT looking forward to THAT much!

IMG_4631.JPG.bd9784e405099083efada589e71b348c.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG.da576a19df6b170144e816acf614eb59.JPG

• Club Members

:D Hi Jim, I like the 3-leg stool type undercarriage the best! Can I get one for mine?

Seriously, you're doing really well, just when do you go to work???

I went to MC Models today to get some solartex for mine, I hope to get best part of it covered this weekend. :shock: Only wish I could get some photo's of mine on here. You'll all have to be content with seeing the finished real-thing when it's ready.

Chris - I hope to get it flying this summer, hopefully within a few weeks now...

I'm about 1/4 way though the lacing now - wow it's a dull job :)

I'm always surprised how big it is when its together.. The span is about 6'7" and being a bipe it does look big when put together.

Hope you fellas have a good fly today :)

Lacing is almost done, as is the colour scheme...

Got to get the registration marking done - i don't fancy painting it cos its so small... Anyone know someone with a vinyl cutting business??? lol

Got to add some cockpit detail next, and finish the undercarriage.

There's some engine detail to be done, mostly the exhausts as well...

Its getting there :)

IMG_4702.JPG.597e6a278c5777ecd6307ffe9007b1a0.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG.0b20c9ee6765a6102f9dc80c733d530f.JPG

I got a hole in my trousers, I think you could be the man from your handy work there, it is looking good Jim and I bet it took a long time to do all that stitching.

The is a place in South Norwood (Croydon Race and Rally) if there still there and if they still do Vinyl cutting.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some more piccies for you all to deride (take the piss out of)...

Pretty much done as you can see. Still got to do the main weathering on the top wing, and then refine it a bit generally. Thanks to Alan R. for painting my Pete's Pilot for me.

Jobs to do as follows:

install the gun on the mount

make the aileron connecting rods up

run the engine

properly install the battery and receiver

test fly... :shock:

I'm thinking it needs some rigging wires, but its about a 20minute job to assemble it as it is. On my puppeteer I used some thin elastic to give the impression of the wires, and I may do the same here - it just doesn't look right with all that empty space in the wings I don't think.

58d85c7dd2a59_F2BAssembled10.jpg.e07d274efba8046ee228ecdbfffcf4ff.jpg

58d85c7dd13ca_F2BAssembled9.jpg.4fde20fe9e4d1fba4c314946953d18ae.jpg

58d85c7dcfb3b_F2BAssembled8.jpg.9064c4a87b826914a3f5fbba08e782c3.jpg

58d85c7dcb6ae_F2BAssembled7.jpg.7383f825373c8adc1d314969fce00de3.jpg

58d85c7dc9a9e_F2BAssembled6.jpg.f1ab6f263cd4e455b9772150fa5cb804.jpg

58d85c7dc82ff_F2BAssembled5.jpg.ffaa86526625224b7e90d8f44adf3035.jpg

58d85c7dc69e6_F2BAssembled4.jpg.4251daa34f08589b33f1869e81f6c6dc.jpg

58d85c7dc3952_F2BAssembled3.jpg.e1764377088fc5de4821de2add2ffc72.jpg

58d85c7dc229f_F2BAssembled2.jpg.5f11c06025fafca3b9a75b420c7bba23.jpg

58d85c7dc0ce4_F2BAssembled1.jpg.5bd238081fc5cf0af511722fa010a2ab.jpg

Woooooo, just woooooo....Love the weathering job!

Great job o there!

The question still is :- Are you SURE you want to use my RX & RX battery still!

On a side note :-

I need to weather up one of my 74 inch Bf / ME 109 one day in the future! I may asking you alot of question / tips from u!

Atm it looks ok, but still looks like an ARTF :cry: .....Thats if I ever get it out of my loft and try and fly it :oops::?

Steve,

Your question on dirtying up a model. As it happens there is an article in RC Model Flyer on that very subject ie making a ARTF ME 109 look realistic.

cheers

Peter