This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Fuel for Saito?

• Club Members

Some of you might have noticed,I was was running in a Saito engine on Sunday at the field. Just wondering what peoples views are on the best type of fuel for general running? Saito recommend 10-30% synthetic but McGregor recommend a castor based fuel to avoid accidental lean running damaging the engine.

What fuel do others use/recommend?

Trevor - Ive always used Irvine contest 10% or Sport 5%, or failing that, Southern Modelcraft Synthetic 5% in all my engines.

I've found that the 2 strokes will run on pretty much anything, and the 4 strokes run a bit better in the cold with a little nitro.

For general sport flying - mostly what we do - that's good enough, and being a lazy sod, I can't be bothered with different fuels all over the place so I settle for any of the 3 above.

I do use other stuff for my helis, but that's a different story.

Hope that helps....

J.

Everybody Love's Model Technics Formula Irvine fuel's! Be it Sport 5%, Contest 10% or Champion 20%.

I've never run or sold the regular str. Irvine stuff, so can't comment about that!

Also if run Formula Irvine fuels with you OS / Irvine engines, there will not be a problem if you engine stops working, when OS come to look at it!

The only down side to Formula Irvine fuel is, after the fuel is burnt you get some black crap over the plane & inside the ext. / engine!

I only run Formula Irvine on my 2 strokes because it is spec'd for OS engines and that is mainly the brand I use.

For my 4 stoke engines I use my heli fuel (Magnum) as this is what my YS book says on the issue "use a good quality fuel containing 15% to 30% nitro, and oil content of 20% to 24%. Synthetic oil only. If you use caster oil, no more than 2% is recommended.

DO NOT USE FOUR CYCLE FUEL DUE TO LOW OIL CONTENT"

The one I use is Magnum 30% heli blend, this has 22% fully sync oil. There is also Magnum YS/DZ 30% nitro which has 22% oil of which 5% is Castor and 17% synth. The Magnum YS 20/20 which is 20% nitro with 20% oil of with 5% caster and 15% Synth.

You can also look at Model Technics Yamada 20% or 30% which has 23% Regular Techniplate from Klotz which is fully synth (http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=22)

Formula Irvine has Super Techniplate which has 20% BeNOL® Racing Castor Oil out of it's total 18% synth oil content (around 4% Castor).

(http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=18)

OK, by now you should have a headache, so why not just phone Freestyle and ask Nick what he runs in his, I am pretty sure it is Magnum but I am not sure if he uses the heli blend or the YS blend as I was speaking to him and his Dad at Sevonoaks a few weeks back and they were running a few 58" extras with Saitos in on which I commented one as I could smell the fuel they were using :wink:

Edited by Guest

Here's what Saito have to say about it...

http://saito-engines.info/fuel.html

The summary is pretty good I think...

'In summary, any commercial 2-stroke or 4-stroke fuel should be fine, provided you make sure the castor oil content is low, with mostly synthetic oil. The only difference between commercial 2-stroke fuels and 4-stroke fuels is the total oil content (4-stroke fuels typically have 2-3 % less total oil content compared to 2-stroke fuels).'

Irvine 5% or 10% it is then.... :)

• Club Members

:shock: Hi Jim, Er! Crikey, have you read through that lot really, and did you make your mind up?

How about this, I've been using Model Tech Dynaglo 5% for 16years. It runs everything, cleanly, doesn't go out, unless there's a fault with the carb, and I've still got most of the engines still in running order. (it doesn't assist with ground impact effect!) You would probably get slightly improved performance with 10% nitro due to the cooling effect. Mike uses a 30% nitro fuel in his Saito powered Championship model, but I don't know what the actual fuel is :roll: and it cost's a bob or two!

Dynaglo is a mix of Synthetic and Castor oils, and runs on a leaner needle setting than full Castor.

I,m going to shut up now, Bye, Oily X :lol:

• Club Members

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys. It seems in summary that any 5-10% nitro, 18-20% oil with at most 5% castor and the rest synthetic will do the job for normal use and more nitro up to 30% is really only required for competitive use where the bit of extra power can make a difference.

It looks like MT 10% Irvine formula should do the trick for me as Jim suggested. Or maybe 12% Magnum heliplus as it seems to be a bit cheaper, BlinkTrading sell a case of 4 US gallons on ebay for 54.99 inc. delivery (1 US gallon ~ 0.8 UK gallon).

Thanks again

Trev.

I've also used Southern Modelcraft 5% synthetic with good results.

Do a search on BlinkTrading before parting with your cash.... I seem to remember reading some less than positive comments.

There's a heli place in Coulsdon that will sell you Magnum by the case too.

apologies for pitching I so late, but a bit like jimbo, I can't be doing with different fuels and use Southern Modelcraft 10% hi-lube (fully synthetic) in everything.

It's about £10/gallon but only at shows unless you want to go to Tonbridge to collect some.

• Club Members
:oops: thanks for pointing out my mistake JIM! and Sorry Trev.I wasn't trying to imply you were JIM, (even If you do live in the same street), It was just a bit mind boggling reading about all those different mixes and opinions about fuel. I'm glad its not like that when we go to the petrol station with the car! I think i would stay indoors :) !

58d85c7dded8c_austin7002.jpg.e325f06de4f335dff6ac9f7bd7248482.jpg

• Club Members
Sorry Trev.I wasn't trying to imply you were JIM

No problem, I've had worse said about me. :D:D

JIM - whereabouts in Coulsdon is this heli place, I have never heard of it?

They're called 'Climbout', and they are the people who make the Avro range of helicopters.

When you come out of Coulsdon going South, there's a trading estate on the left which you get too under the bridge (is it called 'Ullswater Trading estate'??).

Anyhow - that's them...

http://www.climb-out.com/home.php

Climbout are distributors so you may want to contact them first, The company is run by Roger Hamilton who can be found chucking his Synergy around the Boxhill heli club.

Climbout are the importers of Magnum Fuel and Compass Helis such as my Knight and other stuff. Rob Blake has close ties to Climbout and I normally meet up with him for my bits and bobs, he lives in Old Coulsdon.

check out there website

http://www.climb-out.com/home.php