This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Closed loop systems

• Club Members

I have a few questions about closed loop control systems.

The Mini Hype kit I have has closed loop control on the rudder and elevator.

Knowing my tendency to need to redo some elements of a kit build I thought I should get some spares. I can source the wire - I'm assuming a 50lb breaking strain wire is more than enough?. I can also source the adjustment end point connectors. What I don't seem to be able to find is individual crimps to buy. Can these be made out of thin bore brass tubing cut to length?

If so, has anyone got a recommendation for the size of brass tubing?

The fuselage has entry holes cut in the locations where the wire needs to enter it. I am just wondering what will prevent the wire acting like a saw in these locations as it moves horizontally in line with the rotation of the servo arm on its axis? Perhaps I'm seeing problems where there are none! :?

Any recommendations or tips on setting up a closed loop system?

The elevator is going to present the biggest challenge as its a split elevator needing control horns on both sides - 4 wire runs. :shock:

The closed loop wire should cross each other in the fuse so it is like an X pattern from end to end, that way there is no side pressure cutting into the fuse.

As for the crimps it is a small alu tube available form places like Avicraft. the alu tube is cut into small sections which the cable passes through and crimped.

The closed loop wire should cross each other in the fuse so it is like an X pattern from end to end, that way there is no side pressure cutting into the fuse.

As for the crimps it is a small alu tube available form places like Avicraft. the alu tube is cut into small sections which the cable passes through and crimped.

Yep, very small diameter ali tube is easy, brass is a trifle harder to crimp - the way I do it is to get the length right, and pass the free end of the cable back through the crimp tube (before crimping) so there is extra thickness for the tube to grip on when crimped. You "can" use heat shrink over the crimp to tidy it up if necessary.

I'm sure TJD has the 12inch Alu tubing, but not sure :?. If they do I could bring a lenght of it to club night!

Or I know for sure Avicraft has it and also has the Alu. tubing cut up, just for closed loop crimping!

If you can I'd appreciate it Steve. I can give you the money for it at club night.

We have them already cut up....6 in a bag for £1.35p "Brass not Alu."

Or which I would go for..... :-

3x 12inch 3/32 x .014 alum tube "K&S metals" at £1.99p

That should be enough to last a life time of close looping!