This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Weston Hype 3D

I have a OS 55 AX just sitting there waiting for my Hype 3D.....thats if I ever get around to buidling it.

Its one of the best planes of its type, I think anyway. I also loved the Mini Hype 3D to, but it was hard to get the right CoG.

Becuase if you don't use the battery Weston UK sell for it, then there no where to put the battery "just no space at all anyway ", apart from up the front close to the fuel tank :(

Making it just to nose heavy for what I wanted to do with it.

I thought it was the brick mixed with epoxy on the undercart mount that made it nose heavy :shock:

That didn't help much at all! LOL. But thats all I had at the time to hand :shock:

Still was way nose heavy before that, maybe next time I will run a Li-Po RX pack!

I thought it was the brick mixed with epoxy on the undercart mount that made it nose heavy :shock:

That didn't help much at all! LOL. But thats all I had at the time to hand :shock:

Still was way nose heavy before that, maybe next time I will run a Li-Po RX pack!

How you gonna fit that into the tank :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Club Members

Maiden flight today was pretty uneventful. The wind was a bit too gusty for a proper test but it is a very smooth flyer and very lightweight. The engine is probably too powerful, vertical climbs are rocket-like. Will be good for climb and glide events. On a calmer day I will be able to test and trim it better.

• Club Members

Great to see the Hype airborne today Trevor.

The model looks great with a lovely finish and that nice four stroke rumble. :D

When I get the mini version airborne we can do a little and large circuit! :wink:

Looking at the new prices of the Saito's engine's now I'm asking myself alot "are you sure you want that engine, in that"!

HEHE some of my Saito's "new price's" cost 2 to 3 times the money of the kit........doh!

The return of the SC engine BABY! Is here.....How long before we see Leon buying / with one :oops::lol:

I'm thinking about test flying my H9 Piper Pawnee tomorrow, its got a Saito 82 GK in it "not run", me now thinking about taking it out and selling it and making money LOL.

• Club Members

I bought the Saito a couple of years ago for my Ultimate that crashed, only paid £180 for it now they are getting on for £300. I used it because it was a shame to see it not being used but if it doesnt work well in the Hype I will change it for a .50 2 stroke, not a problem. I also bought a Saito 62 for a warbirds Spitfire and those have doubled in price now. Wish I had bought a hundred of them when I had a chance I would have made a killing :D

• 2 years later...
  • Club Members

I had some good flights with the Hype, but a high speed flick roll out of a knife edge probably wasn't a good idea, in hindsight. It caused the wing to break up in mid air! You'll be glad to know the pilot survived intact even if the engine didnt.

However, notice the complete lack of glue on the main spar!

Blimey Trevor you really made a good job of your new Hype. Similar thing happened at our local field with a P51 a total lack of glue. He packed up the pieces and sent it back to Ripmax who relaced the kit and gave him a vouchere for the engine

may be worth getting hold of Weston and showing the lack of glue

Hope thisd helps

Pete

• Club Members

Peter, the kit was nearly 3 years old and had been flown a lot so it had done well. Gives me an opportunity to buy something different

Sent using TapaTalk

• Club Members
Sorry about the Hype Trevor. As discussed, below are links for Saito engine parts:

Mac Gregor (UK): http://hobbyplastic.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88_90 and

Phills's Hobby Shop (USA): http://www.philshobbyshop.com/catalog/viewcat?catid=7166.

Emay

Thanks Emay, I have ordered the bits I need from a combination of the two places, based on what they had in stock, comes to about £25, not too bad

Sent using TapaTalk