This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

YT Spitfire

Jimbo

Some time ago I was lucky enough to buy a 120 size YT International Spitfire from club member Darren.

Well Ive done some work on it recently, and I thought I'd post a couple of pictures as it goes, so here's the first one for you.

I'm quite excited by this model :)

58d85c7fd6e60_Spit1.jpg.fc1e0d41120d7f8e187a429cea74465f.jpg

Andre - the engine is mounted OK, but for the picture, the spinner was just balanced on what was left of the Crankshaft.

Because I'm using a 26cc petrol motor, I want to mount is as far back as possible. Because of this I need an extenstion for the prop driver which Peter Shaw is kindly making for me. As such, there is only about 10mm if crankshaft sticking past the cowl right now, hence the droopy looking nose. Well spotted though!

Trevor - the finish on the spit is amazingly good, being airbrushed all over. But, it just doesn't look right. It's going to get a really good dirtying up as soon as all the building work is complete, including general weathering and exhaust and gun staining.

I'm installing a dashboard, scale exhausts and hopfully a full length pilot as I've now cut out the cockpit floor for one. I found a pilot on the internet yesterday - £80!!!!! Blimey, I've got planes that cost less than that :) He was good though....

More pics later perhaps - seeya.

Jim

What about a half length pilot which will allow instrument panel and the pilots are not as expensive.

Just need to cut out and fit a 1/2 size cockpit.

I ws going to attempt it myself before I creashed the spit.

Andre

Jim

On engine mounting, I fitted a satio 120 to mine and still had to add 16oz of lead to the fire weall to get the c of g correct.

The satio 120 mounted about 2.5 to 3 inches from the FW weights 900g or 32 oz.

Andre

Thats good info to have Andre, thanks.

The MVVS with ignition weighs 1118g, so just a litte bit more. I think that a lot of the weight will be forward too, as its a front carb engine.

I wont worry too much about forward weight. I can always space the engine forward if needs be.

Your 16oz equates to another 450g - perhaps I should mount the engine up front anyway.... :shock:

• Club Members

Looking good Jimbo, are you fitting the stool with flaps, and do you think it will generate enough lift??? (you knew some idiot would say it, didn't you?) :lol::lol::lol:

Oily.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL FROM ME AND SUE. :wink:

Oily.

• Administrators

Having seen Jims spitfire up close the other day, I have to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing it fly, it looks awsome already. If you want help weathering it jim, your welcome to tie it to the back of my car when I'm on call-outs :shock: I'll drag it around Surrey for a few days to weather it up real nice for you :lol::lol:

Seriously though, if you ever need a spare pair of hands, lemme know, I'd love to learn something new

• Club Members

Nice Jimbo.......... 8)

Having just gained a Ripmax Spitfire ARTF for £30, we could get a flight going..................mind you, I'd have to fly twice as near to make it look right!! :shock::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of work done, but not much progress to show for it.

Engine finally mounted, and throttle and choke linkages are in so thats good.

The cowl has had the exhausts fitted and I'm pleased with them.

Ive done some hacking around in the cockpit area to move a factory fitted fuselage former out of the way and into the scale position, and Ive made a seat for the pilot. Also bought a nice pilot from eBay which needs lightening a little from its normal 245g.

Here's some pictures for you.

58d85c7fe947d_Pipes1Small.jpg.443d4362f05ad4c0759d7219c21dc2df.jpg

58d85c7fe7585_EngineFinal1Small.jpg.e72a84dfc4671d1ff7ae16070a1b1e69.jpg

58d85c7fe5fdf_cockpit1small.jpg.ed354c629158dcf68a486d047babe736.jpg

58d85c7fe4c84_Seat2Small.jpg.2049d8ad3f97f43e61c5dfc998513379.jpg

58d85c7fe344e_Pilot2.jpg.668b2c14c6389623b6940793c048b06c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mickey - Sadly I'm away on business again so wont be able to bring the model to the AGM as I wanted, but you'll see it soon enough!

I didnt get back to returning your call sorry mate! I was after some scale drawings or the Hispano cannon covers, general gun positions and the aerial mast. Were you saying you had any of that?

Jimbo

Ive got some starting data for the cannons and Aerial mast of the interweb (Id still like the real thing though Mickey!)

Ive had some time on my hands over night shift here in China so thought I'd try doing some 3D CAD.

I'm quite pleased with the results - what dya think??

hispano 2007-Layout1.pdf

• Club Members

Even the "obvious in photos" cannon situation is a jungle, with some having the outer stubs removed, etc, etc.

Would "yours" have had the belly Standard Beam Approach aerial?

Even the "obvious in photos" cannon situation is a jungle, with some having the outer stubs removed, etc, etc.

Would "yours" have had the belly Standard Beam Approach aerial?

Huh? Errr... Yeah - prolly....

(What???) :roll: I'll do whatever I'm told within reason!

Ive got some starting data for the cannons and Aerial mast of the interweb (Id still like the real thing though Mickey!)

Ive had some time on my hands over night shift here in China so thought I'd try doing some 3D CAD.

I'm quite pleased with the results - what dya think??

Is there nothing, you can't do well at :)

But I was referring to the endless list of things I cannot do!!! :D

You've seen me prop hang!!!!

Yes we have, it was a old bird at a show last year, the thing is you did not.............(well could not even if you wanted to) use the ailerons :mrgreen:

See Steve.......Jedi Jim................Jim can fix it/do it..............his our man :D