This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Avro Vulcan B2 Bomber

This is my new project, Vulcan B2 Bomber 60 span, Doing some work on it as it was sitting in a sorry state for a while, After it went in with the previous owner, So far i have roughly repaired the damage sustained, It has a os 61 Max engine, with reversed pitch prop, Not tested yet, But seems to have good compression and smooth bearings, three Retracts, Air up, Spring down with nose wheel steering, Tank pressures and ines all tested ok, Hoping to test engine up the field on thursday, Then Fly on Sunday if weather is reasonable, C of G, I have no idea, Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, Also Elevons set, But throws not known,

Steve 8)

Hopefully Andre may be up the field on Sunday, I have just got the c of g now from the previous owner, 15 and a half inch from the leading edge, I have checked that, And it is spot on, Also the fuel tank is on the c of g with a crank case pressure system, That seems to be all ok, Got a nice little bike hand pump from halfords with gauge 100psi, Tested Retracts, They hold good pressure and work ok, All looking good so far.

Steve

• Club Members

Hi Steve, that looks good!

Have you flown it yet?

Being the "careful" type with data, maybe an owner that has stuffed it isn't the best source of a CG figure? :wink:

This calculator works:-

http://www.scaleaero.com/CG_Calculator.htm

I use 23% MAC for Deltas as a start point..............this has worked with all my own designs

Hi Dave,

Yes i flew it today, It would not lift off on the first take off attempt and carried on down the valley, As it was over the threshold with full power and full up elevator, Killed the throttle and belly flopped it, Straightened the retracts and took a lump of lead out of the nose, Next try, Front retract collapsed, Repaired that, I think it was third attempt, Got it up, Had to hold the elevator stick a long way up to keep the nose up, But managed to have a great flight, Steve as my spotter Tried to adjust the trims while i was flying, But to no avail, Hit the end of travel, Got it back on the ground with a heavy landing,

Went back to the drawing board, Took the remaining lead out of the nose, Took off again, Went up steep, Stalling to the left of the field with full right ailerons, Had no option other than to cut the throttle and let it go in safely, I have gotta say though, I am still buzzing from flying it, It was wicked,

You are right though dave, I should not have took the blokes word for it regarding the c of g

Also with hindsight I think i will start being more careful with data,

And dont get me wrong Dave, I am not blaming you, But you could have sent that yesterday :lol:

Steve 8)

Edited by Guest

Also Thanks for all the help with the late Vulcan bomber today,

Thanks to, Geoff/Tools,, Barry/moral support,,, Steve/Spotter,,, Jason/Moral support, Emay/Sundries,,, Richard/Video.

Steve 8)

• Club Members
And dont get me wrong Dave, I am not blaming you, But you could have sent that yesterday :lol:

Steve 8)

Damn, Damn, Damn......................Wrong AGAIN........................................ :oops:

I take it it's totalled then?? :cry:

I have had a combination of building works on my place reaching a peak plus had a virus this last week culminating in the last two days which have been a bit "uncomfortable". Went Sloping Wed, have not flown since.

Anyway, well done you for having a go and not getting somebody else to fly it.

Thanks Dave, Yes it was a great experience, I will certainly use the link you sent, CG and MAC in future , can it be measured with inches or mm, Is that a silly question, Yeah it was totalled, Engine and retracts etc ok though, Good job the engine was at the back,,, :plane:

Steve 8)

What a shame! Like I said, cool, scary and VERY exciting lol

Well done for you attempts Steve. It looked very pitch sensitive to me, which would imply that it was TAIL heavy...

Still, made a good video! I suggest you build your own one from some plans now Steve - what dya reckon?

Jim

• Administrators

Sorry guys, that vid turned out awful quality, it seems ".avi" stands for "Almost a video image"

Have re-exported it to .wmv which is now the size I was expecting the first time around and will re-upload a better quality one tonight which is 1GB and proper widescreen. The downside is, exporting 17minutes of video takes an hour...

• Administrators

I reckon Steve should build one too, in "Glow in the dark yellow"

I'd build a depron foamie one if I had a clue what I was doing :D

• Club Members

You are right though dave, I should not have took the blokes word for it regarding the c of g

Also with hindsight I think i will start being more careful with data,

Steve 8)

Of course, I could be a REAL smart a**e.............. :lol::lol::lol:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1495&hilit=CG+Calculator

i.e. I did, but a while before............ :| Hey Ho....................

And for the record, I'm with Jimbo that as it was over pitch sensitive then probably the CG was too far BACK, then removing nose weight allowing take off but making it worse in flight, then remove more and...............

It might well have needed some reflex (both elevons "up" trim). It's NOT simply calculatable science as to whether you need reflex or not, more an art, but you do get a feel for it after a while depending on wing section, etc, etc.

Not sure about the undercarriage positioning either, but the video is foreshortening the plane's length on my screen, so not clear.

Having built a considerable number of Deltas, Flying Wings, and "Planks" (which as a type have the shortest possible moment length and so are the worst of all for pitch setup), inc at least ten slope soarers in the past year of my own design, I have a fair bit of history with setup on this type of wing form.

Build another.....................!!

• Club Members

Petr Shaw had a set of new vulcan plans. I think he intends to build one, and I fancied a go at one as well at one time. Still might though, with the Full size example so unsure of future. The type is controversial and topical at the present, so a model would cause much interest, I would have thought.

Shame yours got broke Steve, I expect pete's plans have CG marked on them!

TTFn Oily :wink:

• Club Members

I left wife with son and family late morning to go slope soaring before coming back up from coast today (excellent windy day, BTW).............they were parked on the beach ( Boring!! :roll: )

When she got back home, she said she'd seen this really big camouflaged plane fly from behind very slowly right over their heads while on Rustington Beach out to sea and then towards Brighton............and she's got a pic, albeit distant as her camera was in it's case in her bag.

Yup, The one and only flying............Vulcan.....................!!!!

Presume it had overflown the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

ADDITION

Just checked, it was booked to fly (but not stay) at RAF Waddington (Lincoln) both days this weekend, operating from RAF Brize Norton (Oxfordshire), so quite a bit out of it's way to be "darn sarf".........

Edited by Guest

Steve 8)

I forgot all about that, Sorry Dave, Probably because i phoned chriss fosses shop and got it from them, What can i say, I learned a big lesson the hard way, I will get there in the end though, Cos i want to be good at this lark, I love it, Even after losing the vulcan.

Steve 8)

• Club Members
Steve 8)

I forgot all about that, Sorry Dave, Probably because i phoned chriss fosses shop and got it from them, What can i say, I learned a big lesson the hard way, I will get there in the end though, Cos i want to be good at this lark, I love it, Even after losing the vulcan.

Steve 8)

To Err is human and all that...............get the balsa out and build another one from scratch!!

Just not THIS one, Eh???? - http://www.walfordians.org/RC/items/2-C ... 4-149.html

What a shame! Like I said, cool, scary and VERY exciting lol

Well done for you attempts Steve. It looked very pitch sensitive to me, which would imply that it was TAIL heavy...

Still, made a good video! I suggest you build your own one from some plans now Steve - what dya reckon?

Jim

Thanks jim, When i was flying it, I had to hold the elevator stick in almost the fully down position, to keep the nose up,

It may have given you the wrong idea in the video as i said i am using down elevator, I have been in the habit of calling down elevator what you call up elevator ever since i started flying, I always thought that was right :oops: So anyway, if i tried to centre the elevator, It just dropped like a stone,

Is a good video though apart from the boring bits, But i think richard is going to edit it and make it widescreen etc,

Not sure about finding the time to build one though, What with work commitments in between flying, I enjoy the challenge of finding little gems such as the Vulcan, I mean even though it was totalled, It cost me more last week to go to the airshow, And i had more fun with the Vulcan.

Dont get me wrong, The airshow was good too,

Steve, 8)

It certainly is value for money Steve - well, as long as your into it - I mean I'm not sure my wife would agree :D

Think how much pleasure you'd get from building something from the balsa up and then flying it - I tell you, nothing beats it :)