This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Somebody New ...

• Club Members

Hi everyone, I thought it was about time I introduced myself ..

I'm Shane and I've recently joined CAMFC and I'm looking forward to gaining my wings, (sounds like an AA meeting that intro ..). Some of you may have seen me down the field on a couple Sunday's and I must say, as stated on the website you are a friendly club!

Last week bought my first trainer plane based on recommendations and advice freely given by other members, I went with the Boomerang 2 .. just finished building it today, took 19 hours all in, not too bad I don't think for a first time! So hopefully, if the weather holds out and my building is up to scratch, you might spot me up the field learning how to fly it!

Anyway, before I start waffling, I hope to see you up Fickleshole sometime soon and if ya have any questions .. please ask.

All the best,

Shane :D

58d85c8258b82_2013-01-2113_34_57.jpg.846b69bfd646e3009f839e9e85d2f057.jpg

• Club Members

Hi Shane,

You probably won't see me much, unless that is you are going to be flying weekdays, depends how unlucky you are! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Good choice on Radio, too, the Futaba 6EX is a brutally reliable piece of kit, and I should know, as I currently handle seven of them, only two being 2.4GHz!! I won't say how many receivers and servos cos I can't count THAT far!! Was it bought new as a set? (It'll help us to know the complete spec, numbers on each part, which receiver, etc, BTW, as we can give you faster help then).

Do not wrap the Receiver in foam, etc, best to velcro it to a side sheet, and run the aerials so they are away from any wiring, metal or carbon (inc control rodding), servos, etc. The shiny silver short ends are the aerial, the grey section is just wiring to them. These ends should be away from anything metallic or electrical and taped so that they are at right angles. Hope I have just told you something you already know, but that bit is very important, OK!!

Have fun................Oh, and keep means of ignition away from models, as virtually everything connected with them is VERY flammable, even before you fuel it!! :wink::wink:

Dave

• Club Members
Hi Shane,

You probably won't see me much, unless that is you are going to be flying weekdays, depends how unlucky you are! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Good choice on Radio, too, the Futaba 6EX is a brutally reliable piece of kit, and I should know, as I currently handle seven of them, only two being 2.4GHz!! I won't say how many receivers and servos cos I can't count THAT far!! Was it bought new as a set? (It'll help us to know the complete spec, numbers on each part, which receiver, etc, BTW, as we can give you faster help then).

Do not wrap the Receiver in foam, etc, best to velcro it to a side sheet, and run the aerials so they are away from any wiring, metal or carbon (inc control rodding), servos, etc. The shiny silver short ends are the aerial, the grey section is just wiring to them. These ends should be away from anything metallic or electrical and taped so that they are at right angles. Hope I have just told you something you already know, but that bit is very important, OK!!

Have fun................Oh, and keep means of ignition away from models, as virtually everything connected with them is VERY flammable, even before you fuel it!! :wink::wink:

Dave

Well the radio gear I kinda put together in bits. As you well spotted is a Futaba T6EX Transmitter, I chose it because it seemed to be the best transmitter that's compatible with the the clubs training gear and I have been using it on Phoenix! The receiver is FRSKY TFR6 and I'm using standard Futaba S3003 servos. Which reminds me, I forgot to set the fail safe! Must do that! :D The engine is a Super Custom ABC .46 sized 2 stroke with a 11x6 "Avicraft Special" orange prop.

The aerial wires I've taped to the fuselage at a 90 degree angle, Ill try and find a photo but it is well away from any control rods e.t.c. I have for the time being though used double sided tape to hold the receiver in but I fear that might not be enough .. Ill find some velcro as you suggested. I've only covered the fuel tank and the battery in foam, but it does say in the install book to cover the receiver in foam too? .. Is there a reason why I shouldn't?? Does it get hot??

Welcome! Great choice of trainer ... amazing the flight envelope they have beyond training with the rates up :)

She went together really easily, I've heard good things about how she fly's .. I really can't wait to get her in the air! Come on weather, Cheer up! haha :lol:

Hi Shane

The reason we covered receivers in foam was to help stop vibration, this was a problem with the 35mg gear, 2.4 does not have this problem and needs air to help cooling, I never ever cover 2.4 Rx with foam just velcro them to the fuz side.

See you soon

Regards

Rod

• Club Members

Hi Shane,

As Rod says.

No pics needed, you say the aerials are clear, they are!!

That's a perfectly good combo of parts, one I have used on models for years now, however, the FRSky FASST Receiver needs the failsafe setting on the RECEIVER, and NOT on the TX. In the Tx menu, go to F/S, use the RH nudge switch +/- and ensure the little arrow is up facing by a small NORM legend. (No percentage showing)

This is needed not only as a 6EX Tx has a limited throttle failsafe but also as the Tx failsafe will upset the Rx and cause servo issues if active, so turn it off.

Rod or whoever does your first flight will check this is right along with other checks first, but it's good to set it yourself so you know how.

The FRSky failsafe operates on all channels so is much better. When the system is bound, and switched on ready for flight, move the controls to where you want for failsafe and hold them there (I suggest no throttle, aileron or rudder and around a third up elevator), then press the Rx bind button very BRIEFLY and let go of it, holding the sticks where you want till the green light flashes briefly, which should be almost instantaneous. Test it by releasing all the controls, and turning the Tx off, the elevator should move up to where you have set and stay there till you put the Tx back on and after a brief nomal locking on bind delay it should work normally again.

Regards,

Dave

• Club Members
Hi Shane

The reason we covered receivers in foam was to help stop vibration, this was a problem with the 35mg gear, 2.4 does not have this problem and needs air to help cooling, I never ever cover 2.4 Rx with foam just velcro them to the fuz side.

See you soon

Regards

Rod

Ahh I see, so it was the older style Crystal's that needed the extra protection. That explains it! Ill re-fix it with velcro and leave it at that. Thanks Rod!

Hi Shane,

As Rod says.

No pics needed, you say the aerials are clear, they are!!

That's a perfectly good combo of parts, one I have used on models for years now, however, the FRSky FASST Receiver needs the failsafe setting on the RECEIVER, and NOT on the TX. In the Tx menu, go to F/S, use the RH nudge switch +/- and ensure the little arrow is up facing by a small NORM legend. (No percentage showing)

This is needed not only as a 6EX Tx has a limited throttle failsafe but also as the Tx failsafe will upset the Rx and cause servo issues if active, so turn it off .....

As far as I know, I think It's fail safe is throttle only on this particular receiver. Although I'm not sure now come to think of it! I didn't really think about the fail safe function too much when I got it the receiver, I just knew that it had to have an active fail safe for BMFA regulations. Thank you for suggesting the settings on the transmitter, I think its set to its default of 20% .. Ill change that tonight when I get it out to play on Phoenix again! Hopefully I'll be bursting some ballons this evening! :D

• Club Members

As far as I know, I think It's fail safe is throttle only on this particular receiver. Although I'm not sure now come to think of it! I didn't really think about the fail safe function too much when I got it the receiver, I just knew that it had to have an active fail safe for BMFA regulations. Thank you for suggesting the settings on the transmitter, I think its set to its default of 20% .. Ill change that tonight when I get it out to play on Phoenix again! Hopefully I'll be bursting some ballons this evening! :D

SIGH :wink::wink: ..................TRF6 Manual, 2.2 Setting Failsafe, 2.2.2 "supports failsafe function for all channels"

WAEFRTFM.................. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Fancy an online session then tonight??

• Club Members
HAHA! Sir, I stand corrected! Well that's even better than I thought then :D

Yeah why not! Ill go online now ..

I will start a session called CAMFC, password "gate" in lower case.................