This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

How do you store yours?

Have completed stage one of moving home.... safe racking of the currently airworthy frames, the rest are in hangar two (the loft). Frame is built of ~40mm sq wood and bolted to brick wall with 100mm screws.

Would be interesting if anyone else has pics of how you store your airframes?

• Club Members

Looks nice!

What are the projecting bars made of, and how are they attached to the uprights?

I need to do something. Right now, the WOT4E has a nice space as it's small enough to sit on top of a cupboard, and doesn't leak anything noxious, but the Boomerang has to sit on the floor with a sheet of newspaper under the engine to catch any drips.

I did consider mounting fuselages vertically, hooking the undercarriage into a bracket on the wall, but I'm not sure: it makes it hard to catch the drips, each undercarriage is different, and I've heard that it's not a good idea to store engines in that position for a long time (though I think that referred to petrol engines, which I don't currently have).

I don't have the luxury of a garage.

One idea I had was to just put in a wide (60cm) shelf up high - having 2.6m ceilings is useful! This doesn't provide all that much space, though. If I put in the steel rails that take the slot-in brackets (like these: http://search.diy.com/search#w=flexi%20shelving&asug= ) it would all be adjustable, which is nice.

Martin

Edited by Guest

What are the projecting bars made of, and how are they attached to the uprights?

The uprights are 43x35mm pine, screwed into the wall using 100mm screws and wall plugs (this is definitely overkill for the weight it needs to hold!). The projecting bars are 35x35mm pine butted to the upright and held in placed with a 150mm shelf bracket. End of each projecting bar has a large screw sticking out the top to act as a former for the pipe lagging - this give eaxh projecting bar a 'lip' to stop the model accidentally coming off. Seems to have worked well, and cost less the £15 to build :)

I don't have the luxury of a garage.

In my old house neither did I. I used to store two high wing models suspended from the ceiling with the wings on. It is easy to make two loops of 4-5mm waxed rope, place one under each wing and hook them both over a nice strong ceiling hook. As long as you can locate the hook in a joist this works very well and keeps them out of harm's way.

how can I upload a pic?

Just below the "submit" button when you are making a post you should see an "upload attachment" tab. Click this, select your file and hit "add file". One that has uploaded you should see a list of your newly attached files just below the submit button - to put it in your post put the cursor where you want the image to go and hit "place inline". From memory the maximum resolution for an image is 10247x768 to save space on our servers.

• Club Members
The projecting bars are 35x35mm pine butted to the upright and held in placed with a 150mm shelf bracket.

Ah! I couldn't see the brackets in the picture.

I used to store two high wing models suspended from the ceiling with the wings on. It is easy to make two loops of 4-5mm waxed rope, place one under each wing and hook them both over a nice strong ceiling hook. As long as you can locate the hook in a joist this works very well and keeps them out of harm's way.

I take it you're not worried about, or found some other way to suppress, oily drips from the engine?

Martin

I used to put a piece of tissue in silencer, and give the engine a fairly good wipe. I didn't have any major problems, but if you were worried (aesthetics aside) you could always put something like a vegetable bag from your local supermarket over the engine area and hold it in place with an elastic band around the fuselage.

[attachment=0]2013-05-13 23.22.59.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]2013-05-13 23.22.41.jpg[/attachment]

Garage is too damp and the loft its a weird shape and low sealing for my planes so the only space is the spare room, all planes have to be thoroughly cleaned after each flight, all tanks emptied and all exhaust ports closed.

I use dubro fuel valves in all my models it makes life easier.

that's not included the unbuild kits kept at a friends house and the foamies hanging in the living room walls.

I used to store mine like ^^^^^ but hanging from the prop up in the loft, the reason for from the prop is so any fuel in the system will A) go back into the take and not through the carb, B) you want to leave the vents, exhaust & carb unblocked as any pressure will build up in the tank and split it and C) any fuel in the engine ends up on the back plate and not the front of the crank bearing (glow fuel rusts bearings).

• Club Members
^^^^^ but hanging from the prop up in the loft, the reason for from the prop is so any fuel in the system will A) go back into the take and not through the carb, B) you want to leave the vents, exhaust & carb unblocked as any pressure will build up in the tank and split it and C) any fuel in the engine ends up on the back plate and not the front of the crank bearing (glow fuel rusts bearings).

+1

Yes, good point on the fuel run-off. My rails have some angle built in to help fuel run back for that reason - hopefully is enough... time will tell :) I always shut my carbs, but leave breathers and exhaust open (currently, not when was hanging from ceiling as noted) as I didn't want dust or other rubbish settling in carb, I guess it's a 50-50 call?

I used to store mine like ^^^^^ but hanging from the prop up in the loft, the reason for from the prop is so any fuel in the system will A) go back into the take and not through the carb, B) you want to leave the vents, exhaust & carb unblocked as any pressure will build up in the tank and split it and C) any fuel in the engine ends up on the back plate and not the front of the crank bearing (glow fuel rusts bearings).

Does that effect petrol? or only nitro.

• Club Members
What is the best way to hang a plane nose up, flush against a wall? Do you hook something around the crankshaft, or the UC?

I'm also intrigued about the "hanging by the prop" mentioned earlier in the thread... Is this with a loop of cord around the spinner/prop root?

Martin

Yes, looks good doesn't it? I've been working out some templates tonight for my IC models (I know, crazy way to spend a Sunday night!) which will leave the horizontal racks for my electric models. Of course, templates are easy ... fabricating them requires persuading my wife to take the kids out for an afternoon :)

I managed to build a reasonable vertical mount at the weekend. Used garage hook from Screwfix which were £10 for six. A warning: the same hooks in Homebase are a *lot* more expensive.

58d85c82e58eb_ImageUploadedByTapatalk21369724200.895098.jpg.6a1206a9a70c6ed7f1a85bf4e32c351e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I would have hanging from the undercart is the direction of the force on the under carrage legs, the undercart legs/screws & plate are having a twisitng pressure from the rear applied instead of the designed top pressure. I prefer hanging from the root of the prop with the pressure being on the firewall (which it is the correct pressure it was designed for)

• 4 weeks later...

When I eventually get around to having a plane that's still in 1 piece, ill be puting heavy duty hooks into the ceiling and with some string, hang the planes from the ceiling with the u/c touching the ceiling (I always drain my tank if its not in use for safety reasons), this way the planes will also act as ornaments and my son will/can enjoy staring at them :)