This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Sopwith Pup from Mick Reeves drawings

The last few of Pup days can be best described as eventful so I’ll document them in the form of a three-day diary.

-------------------------------------------------------

SUNDAY.

Maidened the Pup at Hastings yesterday with a large audience.

Flew like a pig! Sounded awesome.

Was lucky to get it down in one piece.

THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE WEEKEND

Add some lead up front. It balances level at the designed point and Mick Reeves notes "CG not critical"!?

Re-plumb the fuel valves to make them easier to access.

Fit a heavy duty Futaba switch. The setup I have uses the dummy pressurising pump to operate the Rx switch and the consensus of opinion of the gathered experts was that vibration is causing the switch to turn off intermittently . The effect is of tiny glitches which didn't make for a relaxed flight!!!!!

One cylinder cut out and back in so that there was unreliable throttle response every so often. Conclusion? I hadn’t taken enough time to tune/syncronise the carburettors

Apart from that the Pup looked and sounded great and ground handling was a doddle!

............................................................ ...........................

MONDAY.

Back in the shed I screwed a pound of lead to the engine bulkhead. That’s probably too much but at least it’s on the safe side providing there will be enough elevator authority. I’ll suck it and see.

I shifted the re-fuelling valves to be more easily accessible through the hinged flaps in the side cowlings.

I ordered a heavy duty switch from Blackburn Models. That can be fitted later on in the week.

I found that one needle valve was three turns open and the other just one-and-a-half turns open. I opened the two three turns from closed for a starting point. I will run and tune the Laser without any of the cowlings in place.

Discover I’m out of fuel so phoned Dave at Southern Model Fuels and arranged to collect two gallons of 5% tomorrow morning.

Put the fuselage to one side and got on with making the remaining seven Le Prieur rockets.

............................................................ ................

TUESDAY.

Collected fuel from Tonbridge. Set up the model at the bottom of the garden, filled tanks with fresh 5%. Energised both cylinders and she started up with a touch of the starter. Oh! What an orgasmic sound! Warm up and throttle back to a steady tickover, - reach to remove glowstarts and…..SPLATWHOOSH.

Pints of blood spurt as I intercept the prop disc with my left hand. Rest of day spent at Kent & Sussex A&E department and leave with tweny-six NHS stitches and eighteen quid lighter for the taxi home to a wife who calls me a silly old fart!

............................................................ ...................

WEDNESDAY (today)

Slept well in spite of mind spinning as to how I will manage to get the model ready for the weekend with thumb and forefinger bandaged like two babies arms! I only hope that there will be someone at Old Warden who will help me rig the b*s*a*d!

Drawings for the ¼ scale Albatros DII arrive in the post from Tony Dowdeswell together with the switch from Blackburn. Suddenly life is wonderful again!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

It has a Laser 200V with a 20x8 Graupner propeller. All as recommended by Neil.

I hesitate to try any alternatives on the grounds that it flies OK and I can do without any agro whilst the model is in good nick. I'll experiment at a later date - possibly!