This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Cougar 2000

• Club Members

After being impressed by a couple of Weston Cougar 2000's at the shindig at Fickleshole on Sunday and talking to one of the pilots about them, I decided I needed a funfly type of aircraft and this was the one.

This is also my first ARTF. It feels a bit like cheating, there is so little to do to build it. Not even the wings need joining as they are in one piece. The main work is installing the radio and engine so it shouldn't take too long. As you can see in the picture there aren't many parts in the box.

I want to use my spare Irvine 46 but the standard .46 size plastic engine mount is too wide for the nose of the fuselage. Does anyone have any ideas how to make it fit or know of a smaller mount that might fit?

I will take some more pictures as I build it and post details of its first flight.

Cougar2000.jpg.6fd9ee8abda84337ec0c2364289332a0.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

About 1.5 hours work and the wing is complete and I wasn't hurrying.

Even the hinge slots were pre-cut which is one of the jobs I least like having to do.

I am impressed with the quality of the model so far. It seems to be well made and the covering is proper Profilm not the cheap chinese stuff which seems popular on some artf's.

CougarWing.jpg.35813e7e121b97ae540629de902acd87.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

It took about 1 hour to fix the tailplane. You have to trim around the covering where the tailplane fits onto the fuselage without damaging the wood underneath, weakening it. I dont know the proper way to do this but this is how I did it. I aligned the tailplane on the fuselage by measuring from each corner to a point at front centre of the fuselage and marked round the fuselage with a ball pen. Then I got a new blade, made a nick in the covering, turned the blade over so the blunt edge was against the wood and sliced around the mark. It worked okay without damaging the wood. I then glued the tailplane to the fuselage with 12 minute epoxy. Here is the result.

The elevator is already hinged by the covering so no more work to do there.

CougarTailPlane.jpg.30374fa4c44ea9c4fa136ad97f9ab944.jpg

Edited by Guest

It is coming one very well. What I normally do with the tail section is measure it and square it with the main wing in place and cut the covering while it is in place, but your method is probably better.

I like the Hype and Cougar, I am not sure what the differences are, but both are lovely planes. From the picture on the box I take it the Cougar is a high wing 3D plane and the Hype a low or mid wing 3D plane?

• Club Members

Thanks for the advice Leon and Andre.

Leon's method of aligning the tailplane and cutting round the fuselage sounds good I will try that on my next artf.

I went onto the JustEngines website looking for backplate mounts and ended up buying an Irvine 39 instead. Couldnt find the mounts on the website but it is a good idea, I wonder why they aren't more common?

• Club Members

About 15 minutes to install the fin. The fin on the Cougar is really just a carbon tube with 1.5cm balsa stuck on. It is just there to hold the rudder on, the balsa is just there for the rudder hinges. I dont think it is there for any aerodynamic reason. The carbon post goes through a hole in the top fuselage deck and locates in a hole in the fuselage bottom, both holes predrilled. A small section of covering on the top deck needs to be removed and the fin is glued in.

Used two lengths of wood clamped either side of the fin/rudder and a pin stuck in the centre of the front fuselage to align it.

CougarFin.jpg.2bcba614a667421d1adca5e1770d5bc3.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Couldn't get to the field today but managed to spend a couple of hours or so on the Cougar. Installed the elevator and rudder controls which is probably the most fiddly bit. The servo tray is pre-installed and cut out so that makes things easier. The rudder control is closed loop and the elevator control is a carbon tube with wire push rods fixed to the ends.

I have never done a closed loop before but it was quite easy. All the parts are provided in the kit. Wasn't sure how to squeeze the crimps so I just used a pair of side cutters. There is probably a proper tool to do this but it worked okay.

The carbon rod for the elevator control has to be drilled a couple of inches from each end and the 2mm wire push rods, which already have a bent end, are pushed inside and hooked through the hole from the inside. A balsa scrap is then pushed inside to wedge the wire in the hole and this is cyanoed in place. Have to make sure the overall length is correct before fixing the other push rod. It makes quite a neat control rod. I swapped the elevator servo to the other side than specified in the instructions, it just seemed to fit better that way. Also had to raise the rudder servo 2mm using scraps of lite ply so that the wires miss the elevator servo.

I'm a bit concerned about the effect on radio reception of all the conductors (metal wires and carbon rod) running the length of the fuselage. Will have to run the aerial on the outside.

Next thing to do is fix the engine

CougarServos.jpg.68ab4623d6e14fed66314180032f76d7.jpg

CougarClosedLoop.jpg.19a89f9efe4d63c94bf1fbb4139aa3f4.jpg

Edited by Guest
I have never done a closed loop before bit it was quite easy. All the parts are provided in the kit. Wasn't sure how to squeeze the crimps so I just used a pair of side cutters. There is probably a proper tool to do this but it worked okay.

You can get / use pliers with out any grip cut into them.

" hehe just another way of the shops to make more money out of selling stuff to you so you can use it ones in a blue moon :cry: "

You can also put abit / some Cyanoacrylate glue at each end of the crimps!

This well help stop the wire from pulling throw / out of the crimps if the crimps and wire are not crush together enough!

Also some people like to run the wire back thorough the crimp again!

E.g so the wire would loop back on the outside of the crimp, before going thought again!

Yep, as Stephen said I always loop the control wire around and through again and put a dab of cyno on the crimp. But I use a set of pliers to do my crimps as well and haven't had a failure yet.

• Club Members

A dab of cyano is a good idea. The crimps seem tight enough at the moment but the cyano will make sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had enough trouble putting the wire through the crimp twice I dont think it would have gone through again These must be extra small diameter crimps I suppose :)

• Club Members

About 1.5 hours work. Mounted my shiny new Irvine 39 then discovered the carb retaining pinch bolt was missing and the silencer was the wrong one. Jenny at JustEngines (very nice lady) is sending the right bits but meanwhile I have mounted the engine and fixed the undercarriage.

Engine mount is the glass/nylon one supplied with the kit. The engine is oriented so the head is at the 8 o'clock position and the silencer will go underneath the fus. The undercarriage legs are made from stiff wire and are fixed to the underside using plastic clamps. The wheels are very lightweight and fixed to the uc with collets.

Just the throttle servo, receiver, battery and fuel tank to do and it will be complete

CougarEngineUc1.jpg.e78a0bdc3a484f01c441e58b18e8b6f7.jpg

CougarEngineUc2.jpg.bec34006c94af80581bf44abeed78309.jpg

Edited by Guest

On the subject of "closed loop system" :-

As most, to all the wire out there used in / for the CLS is cover in a plastic coating.

You can use a flame / cig lighter to metal the plastic coating of the wire together after twisting it around its self, say 10 times. After passing it throw the control hon.

This is a very very strong hold and also alot safer than using crimps as, some time the crimps are not crushed with the wire enough and it all can be pulled out lose!

If you have any spear CLS wire left, try this and see...what you think :)

• 1 month later...
  • Club Members

I have only just managed to complete the Cougar. Just had to install the fuel tank, receiver, battery and switch. It is quite tight but it all squeezed in okay.

The finished plane is good looking. I will take it to the field next time I go and maybe have a test flight

Cougar2000_Rx_FuelTank.jpg.21c9777bbd4dd9a4bd69d79cf232bebd.jpg

Cougar2000_Finished.jpg.b00de6bb147fb739178831e76bf0adbc.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Well, the test flight was a bit of an anticlimax. After running the engine in on a full tank of fuel I gave it its first flight; placed it on the runway, pointed it into the wind and opened the throttle gradually. I was tense and ready to react to any sudden banks or rolls but nothing untoward happened. The Cougar just took off in about 3 metres at half throttle and flew straight as a die, no trimming needed. I even did some gentle aerobatics and inverted flying on the maiden flight.

I am impressed with the Cougars smooth flying and effortless maneuverability. With the Irvine .39 it climbs vertically. I had 7 flights with it today and am looking forward to learning some more advanced flying skills with it. Looks like it has become my favourite plane for the time being. I can't think of any bad things to say about it.Sorry no pictures of the maiden flight unless someone took some at the field today.

The Cougar just took off in about 3 metres at half throttle and flew straight as a die, no trimming needed.

That is a signs of person who can put a ARTF together properly, if it was me that had put it together I would of had to put a brick by the fuel tank to obtain the C of G and at least 10 clicks on a few of the control surfaces :lol: .

I take it flying the Cougar was as easy as you made it look :D

Well this is about the best I can find! Not very good at all and has got someone big head in the way :lol:

pic1405768x576sr4.jpg

That person always trying to be the center of attention 8)

Trev, 99% of the time I've got my DC up at the field. So if you want ask and I will take some photos....

That go's for anyone!

Sound like a great plane to fly, from what you said at the field...And to get 7 flight in, now that must say something about the kit :)

• 4 months later...

The Cougar is a smashing plane and great for learning prop hanging, and an amazingly fun plane to fun.

How are you getting on with your prop hanging Trev?

• Club Members

Getting better thanks. Strangely, I am much better when there is no-one watching. Give me another few weeks and I will be touching the top of the tree like all the other nutters :)

• 4 years later...
  • Club Members

For the record, the firewall with engine fell off the front of my Cougar yesterday while in flight, breaking the hoops holding the undercart, folding it back, and breaking the silencer in the subsequent "arrival". At least I managed to get it flat so no wing or tail damage.

Repaired overnight and silencer from Rod............all better now.

BUT, a teeny bit of gnat's spit on a butt joint between shiny non-absorbent burnt laser cut ply and thin balsa is NOT adequate........

• 1 year later...
  • Club Members

This Cougar finally met its demise last Sunday in the fun fly. I had 6 years flying from it, not too bad! Time to get a new one or maybe something different, Foam E Wot4 maybe?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

• Club Members
This Cougar finally met its demise last Sunday in the fun fly. I had 6 years flying from it, not too bad! Time to get a new one or maybe something different, Foam E Wot4 maybe?

Foam Wot 4? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

What about something retro but full 3D.........HK Eagle 3D??