This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Website changes / upgrades

• Administrators

Hi all

Just a quick heads up, to let you all know that the website will be undergoing some upgrades.

First thing will be the forum as I shall be upgrading it to the latest version of its software and hopefully, may the god of good upgrades be with me, it wont all go pear shaped. Dont worry if it does, I have it all backed up, so can restore it all.

So if you see anything go a bit weird, its very likely that its due to something I am either doing or have done and havent yet noticed, but will soon :-)

Any queries or telling off's, please do shout or ask :-)

Edited by Rich
Formatting
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have edited almost every post in this thread, as it seems a LOT of the formatting imported with loads of extra hidden spaces from the old software. Have updated the main website links now too.

Website problemo sorted. Found the cause of it too and fixed that whilst I was at it. Love how this free software costs hundreds in man hours to stop it falling over all the time

Done................ PM.

Posted Images

• Administrators

Do you mean like that.... Check now, see if it works..

I just made a "General multirotors" for now..

If you would like any specific forums in that new category then fire away :-)

Will take the forum and website down on Thursday night to move it.

• Club Members

Hey, fast..................

Section appears, but even logged in as member I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."

• Administrators
Bravedan said:
Hey, fast..................

Section appears, but even logged in as member I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."

I fixed itttttt :-)

God this phpBB is a dustbin to work with compared to IPB...

I've spent the last 6+ years using IPB and vBulletin and IPB wins hands down...

Any other bits you guys want, within reason, then just hollar..

Hi Richard, just an idea. As per Dave and his multirotor forum, perhaps a forum specifically for modelling questions. Then beginners or people like me could get our questions answered without the question getting lost in chitchat. Just an idea!

B

• Administrators
Pilot Ben said:
Hi Richard, just an idea. As per Dave and his multirotor forum, perhaps a forum specifically for modelling questions. Then beginners or people like me could get our questions answered without the question getting lost in chitchat. Just an idea!

B

Hi Ben

The entire forum is all based around modelling.. You can post your questions anytime in the relevant sections, dont worry at all about feeling like a newbie or beginner, we all had to start from somewhere..

Ask anything you like, the worst thing you can do is never ask :-)

When I look back at some of the things I asked when I first got into this, I think "What a newbie", but back then I didnt know, and everybody at the club is really helpful and patient too, we actually enjoy helping people succeed, so in many ways, you owe it to us to ask, so we can get our fun from helping you :-)

• Administrators
Trevor said:
it's running much faster Richard, good job

:-) I hadnt even started yet when you posted this Trevor, although I have done a lot of cleanups, some tweaks and run some minor upgrades this week, ditching a lot of stuff that is unused and been messing about with settings.

The transfer to its new home is now finished and we are just awaiting DNS to propagate over the next 24/48 hours, so if you see the forum closed, then you are looking at the old one, if its open then you are looking at it from its new home :-)

Only took about 90 minutes to shift it all, thats the easy part done :-)

• Administrators

Forum now all updated to latest version. Apologies for how long it took, there were hundreds of files I had to delete manually 1 by one, and of course, it doesnt tell you them in alphabetical order :-)

Hope you like it :-)

Please test it out, press everything and if you find anythig that doesnt work, please do let me know :-)

I have noticed that image attachments have gone a bit weird or gone, am trying to see if there is a way to fix this..

• Club Members

Hi Richard,

Well done mate, have looked around and nearly all of it works!! (such a nice rigid standard, that old forum software..............NOT)

A few things from my login view:-

"In page" pictures seem to be corrupted. Linked in Pics seem OK.

There is an extra Character appearing in front of every £ sign. (EDIT - on old files, this one shows OK)

• Administrators

Hi Dave

Sadly it does seem that all previous attachments were corrupted in the very first upgrade process carried out on the old server.

This is likely due to the huge jump in versions and possibly also the server software, as my servers are running current stable versions of everything, whereas the old server had not been updated in over 2 years, and was running software that is long obsolete.

I have a full backup of the original files I downloaded from the old server right before the move and none of those files can be opened at all when following the instructions to rename the file by adding a .jpg to the end of its name. All the file names are just random generated code hashes :?

If I'm honest, I expected far more to go wrong than just that.

Anyway, full website now re-open and all online, I've simply copy/pasted the old page info into the new system, still lots of tidying up and re-writing and "nice-to-have" bits to put in, but the essentials are now done. Will see if anything can be done, but it doesn't look like this forum software has the 1 thing all others do, which is the ability to rebuild the forums posts and attachments, or if it does, I sure as heck cant find it..

All and any ideas, comments and feedback are all welcome.

• Club Members

Not in ANY way criticism, but the transferred text under Safety needs enhancing to add the needed frequency control system for FPV Video to avoid video shoot-downs.

As the initial surge of Horus Beta testing is slowly subsiding, I'll try and get some text together, OK? I have the basis of a good visual aid chart but its only OK as is for worldwide, not for UK, and frustratingly its a graphic .jpg file so not text alterable easily. I hate reinventing the wheel.

• Club Members
Richard said:
Hi Dave

Sadly it does seem that all previous attachments were corrupted in the very first upgrade process carried out on the old server.

I don't think any of my pics will be affected as I never attached files to this forum, I used a file storage server and linked, and for that very reason actually, having been caught out way way back on a Simulator website.

As you rightly say updating from that far back was never going to be pain free

• Club Members

One thing I have noticed is that the "show unread posts" link is no longer present. There is a "New posts" link, but this appears to just search for things posted recently, whether or not they have been read, and whether or not there are older but still unread posts.

This was the main way I used to keep up to date with the forum. It seems odd that it's disappeared in a newer version of the software - has anyone else managed to find it?

Great job on the upgrades and migrations though! I had been putting off doing it for too long...

• Administrators

@Dave:

I know, when I was reading it yesterday I did think "When was this last updated?" as the content itself is out of date and needs updating asap, we can sort that as soon as a new update is ready and approved by committee I assume?

As said, for now all I could do was copy/paste the info into text files before taking down the old site then copy/paste into the new system trying to get things in the right places etc. Still not finished, but the critical info is back where it was.

@Rod:

Now to sort the not-critical stuff like the calendar as that needs a fair bit of attention to get it right. Few days at least just to find a good one, because the 5 I have tried so far have some fairly show stopping bugs or flaws in them. Trials continue.. I have all of the events, so I will put them back in manually.

@Martin:

Please take some time to look around first, as what you have said is there, you just havent found it yet :-)

Top left hand side, the "Burger menu" those 3 little stripes in the corner.. They follow you donw the page as you scroll too, so you dont have to scroll alllllll the way back to the top (God what a chore that is on some forums) :-)

This forum theme actually seems to be well made, and a lot of thought has clearly been given to including as much as possible whilst maintaining a clear and simple look and keeping it running fast.

So, next step is replace the calendar and await updated safety info from Dave and sort out a sweet contact form for the website to take off the email addresses (Avoiding spam) :-)

Just a thought, as it may have been on the old web site anyway! "can't remember"

Is Geoff Potts happy / still happy with his home address on the web site!

Please send cheques made payable to CAMFC to: Geoff Potts Newlands 106a Westhall Road Warlingham Surrey CR6 9HD tel 01883 627470]

I know taking it off, could also course some problems with getting membership money etc etc!

• Administrators
Lofty said:
Just a thought, as it may have been on the old web site anyway! "can't remember"

Is Geoff Potts happy / still happy with his home address on the web site!

Please send cheques made payable to CAMFC to: Geoff Potts Newlands 106a Westhall Road Warlingham Surrey CR6 9HD tel 01883 627470]

I know taking it off, could also course some problems with getting membership money etc etc!

Good question, I guess we should ask him on Thursday night?

Do we have to have somewhere for applications to go?

How many does he actually get turn up by post vs how many people pay to join in person at the field or club night?

Do people still use cheques anymore?

Tune in next time for more suspense lol :shock:

Geoff has always had his address on the site as Membership Sec. But as you say we can check with him next Committee meeting, he is away at the moment.

Rod