This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Cambrian Spitfire Mk22/24

• Club Members

Alan Reynolds kindly gave me an unfinished kit, a Cambrian Spitfire Mk24. This is quite an old kit and was missing a few pieces, the most significant being the canopy which I have managed to replace with one from Traplet meant for a Dennis Bryant plan.

The model is 63" span and has foam veneer covered wings. The fuselage was mostly built by Alan and the wings were started. Some surgery was needed as it had been kept in damp conditions and the veneer had started to come away from the foam core but this was easily fixed with some aliphatic glue.

The kit is interesting because nearly all the pieces are already cutout out even the balsa pieces, and very accurately too! The cowl and some of the parts are ABS plastic. The supplied elevators and rudder are plastic but I made them out of balsa as I thought that would look better. Part of the wing fairing is plastic and I might replace that with thin ply.

The foam wings are more suited to air retracts and I might fit some of those instead of the mechanical ones that come with the kit.

This is how it arrived:

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Some more work done on the wings, wheel wells and servo wells lined. Undercarriage is tilted forwards to help prevent nosedives.

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Wings joined and bandaged. The servo leads will run in channels and exit through holes in the top of the wing

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members

Wing span 63". engine Saito 91FS that I have from my Hype3D that crashed.

This is the scheme I am considering, Syrian Air Force 1954 desert colours. Well, it's different!

Edited by Guest
  • Club Members
Not tempted to do a pink ne then? ;)

Ali Mcchinski has a pink spit. ......

But only after drinking raspberry juice..................

I like the Syrian Colours, Yes, DO IT!!!

• Club Members

I can confirm it definitely WON'T be pink. Got my street cred to look after :)

Anyway, come sunset it would be invisible against a pink sky

• Club Members
Anyway, come sunset it would be invisible against a pink sky

Almost like they meant it to...........................

Absolutely! Great for a fighter or a reconnaisance plane, but not so good for a small model! :)

• 2 months later...
  • Club Members

Built up the wing root fairings on the fuselage. This uses 3 pieces of 1/64th ply each side, which is pre-cut to shape in the kit. The front part is finished with lightweight filler. The rear part of the fairing (not shown) is a plastic moulding which will be added later.

Edited by Guest
  • 7 months later...
  • Club Members

It's coming on, slowly due to lack of spare time, but should be ready for the static competition in June. Painting is done, now for the decals. The three part cowl was a nightmare to get aligned with the 4" spinner but it went right in the end.

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Club Members

Just a few pictures of the finished plane. The pilot looks suitably swarthy with a nice thick moustache.

Hope to maiden it in the near future. The only thing I have doubts about is the undercarriage which seems to want to spread too easily.

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Club Members

The first attempt at taxiing resulted in a spread undercarriage and a broken u/c linkage. The mechanical retracts as supplied only opened to 80 degrees and with the wing dihedral this resulted in an effective 70 degrees which made it look as if it was doing the splits. When I looked at the retracts I noticed that if one particular part was turned around it would open to 90 degrees instead of 80 degrees. It was probably designed to do this but it wasnt obvious. So I did this and it now sits much better. I also upgraded the u/c linkages to M3 so just waiting for Sunday to try taxiing again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Club Members

Finally maidened it. We had a clear day with light winds last Saturday and the Spit flew really well, needing only a few clicks of right aileron to trim. Alan was there to witness it and I hope he was pleased with the result, more than 20 years after he purchased the kit!