This is a snapshot of the forum as it was on Thursday 2nd Dec 2021. Not everything will work.
It is not possible to login, edit or make any changes and is provided for prosterity for those who wish to view the old content.
C.A.M.F.C - Members & Visitors area

Miles Magister

• Club Members

I finally got back to the Miles Magister I started about 2 years ago from Dennis Bryant plans. Scale approx. 1/6th, wing span 68" engine ASP80FS. This is my project to make a reasonable scale aircraft so I want to take my time over it. Here are some current pictures:

MilesAircraftLtd-M14AHawkTrainer(Magister).jpeg.6a824515ff91d122f2c19a8d9c75b16a.jpeg

MM_WingCentre.JPG.f5d2e47e94c0d31bfc1037f2b87582b5.JPG

MM_Wing_gf.jpg.3bd02789eac1cd7d2fde2015658a0514.jpg

MM_Fuselage001.jpg.da3ce4b8a32800e09432816f7adbddb0.jpg

MM_FuselageInside.JPG.9542da450ff78192b3bc93311f7e0239.JPG

MM_EngineBay.jpg.ac2525ff7973c5c1aa3befd76623973c.jpg

MM_AileronCutout.jpg.d6e7f00f6776195971166604717467fc.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Club Members

My attempt at wing fillets. The Miles Magister has rather large curvy fillets. I made them up from wedges of 1/2" balsa block and sanded them to shape. Fiddly and messy the way I have done it. Must find out a better way at the next club night hopefully.

Thats all looking very nice and neat Trevor!

Cant wait to see her flying!

Got an estimated end date?

Get yourself a nicer engine for it though ;) you know what ASP stands for dontya?

• Club Members

Aiming for the static scale club night if we have one this year, any idea when it might be?

I like the ASP .61 in the Harvard, starts okay and nice and smooth. What type of engine would you put in it?

You cant beat the quality of OS or Saito - or a Laser is you really want to push the boat out.

Theres no substitute for quality, and nothing worse than a plane with an engine you dont fully trust.

Look at the difference in prices (the OS and Saito are from Inwoods and its a very cheap price, the ASP from Just Engines which are about £30 more expensive than JEngines on the other 2)

ASP 91 £125

OS91 £210

Saito91 £214

You get what you pay for!

• Club Members

Hmmmm! Laser 80 £215. 13x8 prop at 10,000 rpm that's about right. And it would fit the same mounting as ASP80. Never owned a Laser before. Sounds like I might have to indulge and use the ASP in another plane.

I just got donated a Laser 75 to get our late presidents plabne back in the air Trev.

Its over 20 years ols, cos I spoke to Neil at Laser and he says its an early one.

I fixed a couple of bits, put it in the plane, primed it flcked it and it started after a couple of goes.

Now turns a 13x8 prop and idles perfectly and will start by hand.

You wont get that with a 20 year old ASP I can tell ya!

Also, Lasers dont need ANY nitro to run!

• Club Members

I doubt there are any 20 year old ASP's, I think China was still ruled by Mao Tse Tung wasn't it :) ? But I see what you mean, a Laser is a solid investment rather than a throwaway. You could probably still get a good price for the laser 75 but a used ASP probably isn't worth very much.

I just need to check the length of the Laser80 will fit as it is about 1/2" longer then the ASP.

Trevor,

If you ask amongst club members you may find they have a used Laser 75/80 doing nothing. Its sometime ago now but I purchased at a club night 3 Lasers a 62 and 2 x75 for £ 100.00 the lot and then someone offered a new in box for £100.00 so got 4 for the price of one. Admittedly the 3 Lasers were part of the estate of a deceased modeler and the NIB was a member packing up. You have just got to ask around . You may be lucky.

The bring your new model night is scheduled for the May Club night and will be in this months diary dates in the Feb Newsletter.

Magister is looking good and the wing fillets are perfect.

Hope this helps

Pete

• Club Members

I will do that. A secondhand one is more enticing. Anyone reading this have a laser 75/80 for sale? I would be interested for one in good condition for the right price.

• Club Members

Trevor don't worry where you buy it the engines the most important

thing if its new.The wing fillets looked OK to me on club night and if

Peter said that they or OK that's good enough for me.I think you can make them from very thin ply after making the right pattern.Some kits do it

like that.

• 4 months later...

Trevor,

How is the Miles Magister coming along. I noticed you are making a very nice Hurricane and following the thread with interest but would love to see what is happening on the Magister being a Miles fan

Peter

• Club Members

I have stalled while I think about what to do next. I have made the tail fairing (from soggy cardboard as per Dennis Bryant) and it looks okay. I think I will finish the fuselage and cowl next and paint it before I do the cockpits and panels. No rush but I would hope to have it flying before the Airshow (2007 that is!)

• 3 years later...

Flaps, doors, cockpit, oleos! All looking very good Trevor! When's the maiden then?

By the way, just so everybody doesn't have to look, the last post was in 2007! heheb :twisted:

• Club Members

The "oleos" are dummy, combination of piano wire, ally tube and bent brass but they are quite effective. There is a little bit more to do to the fuselage such as tailwheel, remote glow, pilots and balancing. The maiden should be in a couple of weeks if the weather bucks up a bit.

• Club Members

Dear Trevor,

TX control Martin here.have a good think again about engine size.I now have Colin Agate,s miles

and it flew on the Laser 100. I always like to over power my planes as a little bit of inbuilt safety.

I do realise that engines are more powerful now,but the time you have spent building the thing wont

be wasted. Im probably to late and you have alreasdy decided on the engine.HOPE it flies ok though

Trev

Regards Martin

Trevor,

Looking good I suppose on power it depends on the weight. Colin's tend to be on the heavy side.

By the way nice to hear from Martin, hope you are keeping well

Peter

The other out of TX control

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Club Members

Went to Duxford IWM today, guess what I saw? Same scheme as my model, which by the way is now finished ready to maiden. Watch this space!

• Club Members

It's been a long wait (4.5 years!) but here are the finished pictures. Ready for a maiden tomorrow, maybe, if the weather is good enough