A Brief History of our Model Flying Club
When Croydon Airport closed to full size aircraft on 30th September 1959, it left a huge expanse of unused open land.
Radio control model flying was still basic in those days with only one channel available. As time went by 2, 3 and 4 channel became available on 27mgz. As it would only be a matter of time, before space hungry aero modellers invaded this wide open territory.
In 1977 the old airfield was now buzzing to the sound of a variety of scale models, which soon attracted the attention of the Sutton Council. It was about this time, then, that half a dozen or so R/C enthusiasts were standing in Tommy Harris’s Model Shop in Wallington. They decided to form a club to persuade Sutton council to let them continue flying their models and even let them cut some runways in the rough grass.
Frank Hawke came up with the name for the club, Don Coe designed the club logo and was the first Chairman, Beryl Hawke became club secretary, and other committee members included such notables as Marcus Norman, Richard Hawke, and Neil McKinnon who was the clubs first treasurer.
The Croydon Airport Model Flying Club was then born in 1978.
Tommy Harris was duly elected President but Mother Harris refused to let them hold meetings at the shop or offer them any discount, she did the accounts! The club then obtained permission from the Council for flying and runways when the Lads repositioned further South, and mowed some runways, with a resemblance to the full size pattern of the past. Sutton Council insisted that it would have to be a public site, and the club were refused permission to erect a sign stating CAMFC only. A proper by-law for flying was eventually established.
Becoming affiliated to the British Model Flying Association, CAMFC grew in numbers and strength and by the mid 90’s there were 120 members.